Chapter 1: joining the USA

Arizona realized he was trans way before he was part of the USA. He spent forever trying to figure out what to do. Trying to push Mexico into letting him do more boy things and fewer dresses without flat out telling anyone. It didn't really work. Then he heard he and a few others were being taken to the USA, he pulled out his favorite part of pants and plain shirt. Getting a big oversized jacket. It was hard but he got himself a hat that he could hide his long hair in. Not taking off his hat or jacket when working with anyone for the USA. It was cold enough outside and he got away with it.

He had to fill out paperwork on everything. NM was next to him also filling it out.

Arizona paused looking over at NM, what would he think when he found out. Would he go and tell everyone that he wasn't a real man. New Mexico's face was all stacked up. As he filled out his paperwork. Ari looked around. There was a lady sitting at a desk texting on her phone. Looking up every 15 minutes for like three seconds top then back at her phone. Arizona marked down male and moved on to filling out the other stuff. He had a lot of areas to name and stuff.

New Mexico got up and brought the paperwork to the lady. Who took it looking everything over. Then nodded and NM left. Arizona looked back at his paperwork. Filling the rest out. He made sure his hat and jacket were covering everything. Then walked up handing up his paperwork. She looked him up and down then the paperwork. Arizona's heart felt like it was going a mile a minute. What felt like forever. She nodded and Ari as quickly as he could without looking too crazy got out of there.

Arizona was so anxious about the whole thing. What was going to happen? NM got his statehood and Everything. Only a little bit passed then Arizona got his. NM of course then found out what Ari had done.

Ari was in the room they stuck him in when NM found out. Ari was trying to move his bed. They put the bed far away from the window and Ari loved to lay in the sun. There was a knock on his door.

"Give me a few minutes" Ari grabbed the hat and jacket. Covered himself up as much as he could as quickly as he could. He opened the door to see NM standing their arms crossed. "oh hey, can I help you?"

"Can I come in?" Ari hesitated "Arizona I don't think you want to have this talk out in the hallway"

Arizona nodded stepping to the side and NM walked in. He looked at the bed in the middle of the room sideways.

"You are moving your bed too? It is very cold in these rooms I moved my bed to the window as well. It makes a big difference. The sun warms up the bed during the day. Let me help you" New Mexico walks over to one side of the bed and Arizona to the other. With some work, they moved the bed to a much better spot. Arizona hat had fallen off in the process. His hair getting all in his face.

New Mexico picked it up and looked over at Arizona. He brushed his long hair away trying to get it under control. He didn't know what to say.

"You sure? This what you want?"

"Yeah I have known for a long while"

"Okay, Arizona you seem to need a hair cut"

"Will you let me help you?" NM said in Spanish looking up at Arizona. Arizona had tears forming in his eyes. He whipped his eyes trying to get them not to fall. NM comes closer to Ari. Who was sniffing now. NM held his arms out. Ari jumped into them. Putting his head on NM's shoulder crying.

NM held him once Arizona was done he started pulling away.

"Alright wash up and put your hat on and meet me in my room I'll help you cut your hair" Arizona nodded.

New Mexico left. Ari got himself cleaned up. NM and Ari weren't that close before. They did a few things together. But Ari wasn't really close to anyone there. He really didn't feel like he fit in with anyone. But they didn't really see him, how he wanted to be. He went over to NM's room.

New Mexico had stolen a chair from the kitchen. And put a towel down. Ari sat down on the chair.

"I am not a professional or anything. But I will do my best. What kind do you want?"

"I don't really care too much just short and manly" NM nodded. He started by cutting off a lot of long parts. Making it shoulder length. Arizona could hear him take a deep breath. He slowly started cutting shorter and shorter. Arizona closed his eyes. It was a long process both of them stayed quiet, NM very worried he would mess it up.

"Alright I think that's good," New Mexico said after what felt like forever. Ari opened his eyes. "you want to go to the bathroom and look?"

Arizona got up. Holding his breath. He already felt lighter. He walked into NM's bathroom.

"Wow" Arizona put his hand up feeling his hair. It was short! It was short!! He was so happy. NM walked over. "thank you! Thank you!!!"

Arizona started crying again, NM hugged him. After a while. Arizona helped clean up and then left and showered in his room. Being very itchy from the haircut.

At that point, he was very exhausted and got ready for bed. He lay down and soon fell asleep.

After that NM and Arizona started doing more things with each other. It's not like either of them really had any other friends. They started doing things together. They got close to each other learning what the other liked and disliked.

Arizona got himself a binder. NM helped try and figure hormones out and everything. With being states it really was hard. What they were doing CDC probably won't approve of but it seems to be working. Some states did make fun of him when his voice cracked but NM usually punched them. With Ari and NM being new a lot of the states just where like Ari must be very young. No one really knew how their own biology worked so they didn't question the idea of a state going through puberty.

CDC and Florida were the only ones who really wanted to learn everyone's limits and how they worked but for two completely different reasons. CDC wanted to under them and how everything works in the name of science.

Florida wanted to learn how many bath salts he could take and what it could make him do.

The others were more like I eat when I am hungry and sleep when I have time or want to. I live off whatever food I say is good and if you try and make me eat your messed up food I will die. Then ghost me will haunt you SO GET YOUR WEIRD SPAGHETTI AWAY FROM ME.

When Ari was having bad days NM always did his best to make him feel better. Arizona realized he had a crush on NM but didn't say anything. He tried to not hang out with NM all the time. He was hoping to get over his crush. If he wasn't with NM every day. But it was hard. They were really good friends and would watch shows and movies together. Arizona always wanted to be close to him. And love talking to him about any and everything.