CHAPTER TWO - THE HELLFIRE CLUB

Start from the beginning

Although being told you probably have a mental illness wasn't that much of a comfort, it was better than being cursed.

But, Astoria didn't even believe her own words. 

This was definitely not a mental illness, this was definitely a curse. And Eddie Munson was her first suspect (for obviously reasons). She would save Chrissy, because Chrissy would try to do the same. 

It will all be alright, Astoria thinks.

But deep down, she didn't believe that either.

-

When Astoria entered the room, body odour fills her nose. She grimaces, but continues walking forward. All eyes are on her. I mean, she couldn't blame them.  What was a cheerleader doing in the Hellfire Club? 

That was the question on everyone's mind. Even Astoria's.

"Hey, we already have enough players, if that's what you're here for," Mike calls out. He had came to recruit her earlier, she would've taken the offer, but she didn't really want to play. 

More to watch. She looks at Eddie, his eyes were already on hers, "I'm here to watch, that OK?" 

He grins. "So, Astoria Jones, wants to get a taste of the dark side." A few of the guys chuckled. The dark-haired girl internally screamed at how he said her name in such a mocking way. 

But she nods simply and sits down on a chair a little bit away from the table. The leader shrugs, "The more the merrier." The other people repeated what he said hesitantly before they go back to the game.

Time passes, and to be honest, Astoria was kind of invested.

"The hooded cultists chant: 'Hail Lord Vecna, Hail Lord Vecna'," Eddie says lowly. "They turn to you, remove their hoods. You recognise most of them from Makbar." He continues, "But there is one you do not recognise, his skin shrivelled, desiccated."

Chrissy's voice echoes in her head, It's like this big, slimy, wrinkly creature.

Eddie slowly stand up as the words spill out of his mouth, "And something else. He is not only missing his left arm..." 

He covers his eye while standing up further, "But his left eye!" The group all clamour, screaming 'no!' and looking at each other for guidance. 

Protests shout out:

"Vecna's dead!"

"He was killed by Kas!"

The leader replies, "So it was thought my friends, so it was thought." He raises his voice, "But Vecna lives!" He places a character on the throne. 

Eddie turns to Astoria, a worried look is placed on her face and Eddie notices this almost immediately.

It's like this big, slimy, wrinkly creature.

His skin shrivelled, desiccated.

Thinking that she got a fright from how serious they are taking the game, he turns back to the game with a small smile on his face and carries on his campaign. "Do you flee Vecna and his cultists? Or do you stand your ground and fight?"

 Astoria can see them all thinking hard. "Come on," Eddie says, urging for an answer. Dustin holds up a hand to ask him to wait. He finally replies, "I say we fight." 

"To the death," he finishes. Mike repeats what he says, then Erica. They all start chanting, hitting the table. Astoria raises her brows. "To the death! To the death!" Eddie laughs. Someone passes the red dice to Erica and she rolls it.

Astoria can't see what number they landed on, they all shout out, 'yeah', and clap.

Although she had been watching them play for almost half an hour, she didn't really understand this game. Mike rolls another dice, and his character (she thinks) is hit down by Eddie. Mike lets out a dramatic "No!"