Make A Move

This is it. 

The last order. 

My last job. 

The only thing keeping me from turning around and never coming back.

I am anxiously waiting for the boss to get out of his 'business meeting'. Having already talked to him and sworn not to leak any information, all I have to do is complete one last job and I am free to go. I've been doing this practically my whole life and while I am forever great full for what this job has given me, I have other things that I can not risk. My co-workers are like family to me, and therefore are understanding of my situation. Not to say they haven't tried to get me to change my mind, because they have. I mean who would want me to go? Not to sound too conceited, but I am one of the best and am very good at what I do, but this is something that has to be done. I see no other option. Not one with perfect answers or all positive outcomes, although I wasn't expecting any different. I mean this is life after all.

Finally after what seems like forever, the boss walks in, the usual guards behind him. He's wearing a business suit, like always. I don't actually think I've ever seen him in anything else, in fact. His black hair is slicked back, with light touches of grey sprouting from the center. Something about the way he holds himself radiates authority, letting everyone know he is not to be messed with. He glances at me and slightly nods his head towards his office, then holds a hand up to signal the Joe and Lou to wait outside the door. He trusts me enough to do this without guards present.

When I walk into the room he sits in the chair behind the desk and motions for me to do the same with the chair opposite him. I comply, knowing the routine well enough now. He leans back in his chair and looks deep in thought, his eyes resting on the ceiling. He turns to me, hands folded on top of the desk between us, searching my eyes for regret or any sign giving off the essence of second thoughts, but finds nothing. He sighs and leans back once more before slipping a piece of paper from the inside of his jacket onto the desk. I pick it up, slide it into my own jacket pocket, and stand, giving him a slight nod before exiting the room.

"Joe, Lou, take care of Frankie in there. Don't let me hear about no bullshit 'cause I'll come down here if I have to. You gotta step in for me now, put everyone else in their place. And if there's a problem you can't handle you give me a call, you understand?" I place my hands on their shoulders.

"We got this Mike." Joe confirms.

"Yea. Now get outta here." Lou adds playfully shooing me away.

I walk around the corner and push open the door leading to the outside. I cross the gravel thinking about the time when I first met Joe and Lou. They were both new and I was assigned to train them myself. They were the most hard working out of the group and both skilled in different areas (which is why they are usually hired together, because a skill one has not mastered the other has). They soon became best friends and I recommended them being moved up to the boss, Frankie, who agreed once he saw their skills for himself.

I shake my head with a smile on my face. Then I remember the slip of paper Frankie handed me, and take it out. Might as well search up on the person on the drive home. I'm about to reach my car when I stop dead in my tracks. I read the name for the twentieth time until it gets through to my head.

This can't be right.

This can't be it.

And just like that, the moment I've been waiting for becomes the moment I dread.

*~*~*~*~*