XVI. SIEGE

-

-

THE CASTLE HAD BEEN TAKEN. Annalise had been wise to feel wary around the Count. One of his men entered the throne room, a threatening eye lingering on the castle's residents.

"Annie, go."

Francis had turned to Annalise, ordering her to make her way upstairs to where Charles and Little Henry remained with their nurses. As she turned to her sister, one of Vincent's men stepped towards her, hand on the hilt of his sword.

Annalise's hand wrapped around Mary's wrist pulling her closer in an attempt to shield her. Her sister. Her Queen. The Princess' heart hammered in her chest, icy blood slushing through her veins. She held her breath, in an effort to control the speed of her inhales and exhales. She had to stay calm.

Mary stood close by her, hand clasped in her own behind Anna's back.

"Count, perhaps it's time you tell us why you are here. It's not a diplomatic visit." Francis had folded his hands behind his back, taking a sure step towards the Count. Catherine stood firmly next to her son.

"You are right, Dauphin. I come for restitution." The Count spoke with such unearned certainty. Had he really thought he could come to French Court and hold it hostage? Surely the guards would intervene. Surely the Count and his men would be dead in mere moments. Surely.

She waited for them to come. They did not.

The Count explained. His son had been kept in poor condition and died from illness on his way back to Italy. Vincent had waited for weeks for Henry's departure. He was here for vengeance. Annalise squeezed her sister's hand. Nobody was coming to save them. A slew of Italians entered through another door, armed to the teeth.

French Court idled in the palm of Vincent's hand.

Mary had negotiated the freedom of herself and the other Scottish women after a soldier desired his way with Kenna. Despite Annalise's Francis had insisted she join them.

They were to stay with Mary, safe from all harm until the Count settled the ransom with King Henry. Annalise pondered Vincent's words and wondered, how much would their lives be worth?

They sat in the Queen's chambers, Kenna and Annalise holding each other's hands tightly. There had been no word from Greer, and nobody had seen her all day. Aylee and Mary sat on the chaise, both metaphorically and literally on the edge of their seats. Lola sat by the fire, warming her shaky hands.

Moments later, a knock sounded. Mary had agreed to a feast with the Count that evening, and they were all dreading their summon.