Chapter 1

“Why are you doing this?” I heard my mom yell. My mom and dad have been fighting a lot lately and I wonder why. Every time I ask my mom what’s wrong, she’s always telling me that everything will be fine. I locked my door and just sat down on the floor, my back leaning on the door. My mom always said that every time I hear them argue, I have to lock my door. I don’t know why.

“You wouldn’t understand!” My dad yelled back. I feel scared now. My eyes start to get watery and all I can do right now is hugging Mr. Fluffy. Mr. Fluffy is a bear that was given to me on my 6th birthday from mommy and daddy. I’m 7 years old now and I still have him. He is always there whenever I feel sad or crying.

“I know there’s someone else!” My mom yelled and I heard something break. That’s when I got up and opened the door. I can’t let them hurt their selves! I ran downstairs, almost tripping on Mr. Fluffy’s arm.

“Mommy, daddy, are you guys okay?” I asked them with my eyes puffy red. I saw my mom’s favorite red vase on the floor, broken to pieces. I looked at both of them. My mom’s eyes were puffy red too, just like mine. Daddy carried me and said, “We’re fine sweetheart. We’re just discussing something. That’s all. Nothing to worry about.” Then he kissed the top of my head which always made me feel safe.

Mommy went to the kitchen while sobbing. I asked daddy, “Why is mommy crying?”

“Sweetheart, there are things you won’t understand just yet. When you grow up, I hope you understand and always remember that daddy loves you.” He said and gave me the longest hug.

“Are you leaving daddy?” I asked.

“Just for a short while, sweetheart.”

“Okay, I love you daddy.”

He then put me down and grabbed his suit case and walked out the house. I did not realize that was the last hug and last “I love you” I will ever get from him.

10 years later…..

“Abigail! Hurry up! You’re going to make us both late!” My mom yelled as I fix my hair up into a pony tail.

“Alright mom!” Sheesh, it’s only 7:00am and school doesn’t even start until an hour later. But in order to stop my mom from screaming is to do as what she says. My mom is a teacher for first graders and I see her doing a lot of paper work. I don’t see why she has a lot of work to do since she’s teaching first graders. After I finished fixing myself, I went downstairs and went to the kitchen, where I know I will find her.

“Here you go Abby, eat up and let’s go!” She slid a plate of toasted bread with eggs and bacon in front of me. My mom has been working hard since the day my dad left us. She’s been through hell just for me since the day my dad turn his back on us. I hate him for leaving us for another woman. Now, I’m all my mom has and she’s all I have.

20 minutes later and I’m already in school, talking to Florian, Talia, and Cindy. We were heading to the cafeteria where we would find Stephen. Florian, Talia, and Cindy were my best friends since the 7th grade. Now we’re juniors and we only met Stephen during our freshman year. Stephen is a senior though. Ever since then, we are all inseparable. But that doesn’t mean we don’t have other friends.

“Hey guys, it’s almost valentine’s day!” Cindy said excitedly.

“Yeah, like three weeks from now, that’s ‘almost’” Flor said sarcastically. Oh gosh, it’s that time of the year where everyone is gushing about who’s going to be their valentine this year. Well, it has always been the same in my group. Always single every Valentine’s Day but hey, we don’t care. Well, maybe we kind of care a little.

“So, who’s you guys’ valentine this year hmm?” Talia wiggled her eye brows. We entered the cafeteria and of course, we found Stephen on our usual table. Our table is near the window and everybody knows that this table is reserved for the cool kids like us. Just kidding. We only come here in the morning and Stephen would save the table until we all arrive since he comes earlier than us. Then we would leave when the bell rings, signaling us that it’s time to go to our classes.

“Good morning my favorite four ladies!” Stephen greeted us. We all greeted him back. Then he started telling us all about this girl he thinks is cute.

“Do you guys know her?” He asked. I can see his eyes sparkle in excitement. I think he found his valentine this year!

“I think her name is…Tricia? No wait, I think it’s Hannah. Yeah, that’s her name!” Cindy said.

“Yeah, every time you want to know someone, always ask Cindy first because she knows everyone in this school.” Talia said sarcastically.

“I think she’s a freshman.” Flor stated. I was just watching them talk while I eat my apple that I just grabbed from my bag.

“Hey! I don’t know everyone, just some…” Cindy defended herself.

I got tired of listening to them talk so I plugged in my earphones and started listening to my music. Falling for You by Colbie Caillat was playing. Then I saw him. Payton Johnson. The guy I’ve been crushing on since sophomore year. He’s my perfect ideal guy. He’s intelligent, has great sense of humor, captivating appearance, and most importantly, a gentleman. He’s the whole package.

I was just staring at him walk across the cafeteria and then he glanced at me and gave me a small smile. I blushed and looked away. I threw away my apple because I just lost my appetite. My stomach is filled with butterflies right now and I can’t stop smiling. I guess my friends noticed what just happened and now they’re all smiling at me like an idiot. I looked at them weirdly as I pull out my earphones.

“What? Stop looking at me like that! You guys are making me feel weird.” I fake shuddered to show how weird I felt with the looks they’re giving me. The bell rang and we all got our stuff and walked to our classes in separate ways.

The day went by fast and now I’m in my living room watching some show I’ve never seen before in my life. My mom sat down next to me while eating some chips. We don’t usually chill likes this all the time but when we do, all my mom talks about is school, school, and more about school.

“So how was school?” And then it starts.