"You kept her busy all day and did not get her anything to eat?" Marissa looked up from the article she was reading. "I'll see what we have in the fridge." She put the magazine down, side-eyeing him as she walked past him.

Meanwhile, I was still stuck on Dimitri's observation. However, I decided to ignore it.

"Let's get you into warm clothes. You're shivering." I turned towards Dom.

"It's not cold." He shook his head, innocently.

"Okay, big guy. Come on." I held my hand out to him. I was standing with my back towards Dimitri, but I could feel his eyes burn into my skin. Surprisingly, Dom did not throw a fit about cutting his swimming time short. He grabbed my hand after taking two more macarons to go.

He was yawning all the way to the room, but once again dismissively shook his head when I asked him if he was tired. He ate his last cookie whilst he climbed into bed and as soon as his head hit the pillow, he dozed off which happened within the two seconds that I was busy gathering him a fresh set of clothes.

I still changed him out of his wet clothes and then let him stay down for a quick nap. Afterwards I ran back downstairs to the kitchen in search for food.

There, Marissa was cutting up cucumbers and tomatoes. Dimitri on the other hand was mixing something in a bowl. I stood unnoticed in the door opening for a while, totally bewildered.

How was it that these two people who refused to do anything themselves were suddenly capable of preparing a meal?

"What are we making?"

"A salad with everything that can be used to make a salad." Marissa motioned towards the different items in front of her. "Which is also just everything we have right now."

"Hhmm. And we've made this before?" My eyebrows hugged out of curiosity.

"First time for everything."

"I appreciate the effort." I climbed into the stool, watching them in their habitat— it was not a natural one for them and it sure as heck was laughable seeing them struggle to do the simplest things.

"Oh, I have to do the taste test?" I looked at the finish product that was placed in front of me. Both stood patiently waiting for my reaction. It was like an episode of a cooking show, and I was the judge. I took a small bite which was not as bad as I feared that it would be. "Good for a first time." I announced with a small smile.

Their reaction was priceless and for some reason this affected my initial reaction.

"Wait, what's wrong?" Marissa asked when she noticed the sudden change in the way I looked at them.

"Nothing. The food is fine." I moved a piece of tomato with my fork.

"But?"

"Just a thought that crossed my mind." I replied, unable to shake the feeling off.

"One you would like to share?" She leaned forward, taking a bite from the food.

"This— all of this. You spending time with Dom, you guys working together on this. It's nice and I appreciate it. I just wondered how different things would've been if we had put this much effort in getting along from the start." I gulped.

Marissa froze, evidently deeply affected by my thoughts. Dimitri on the other hand looked worried, first he looked at Marissa after that his eyes met mine.

"I—" Her lips parted. "I know that a lot has happened," Her voice became small.

"I'm not looking for an explanation,"