Chapter 7

Jamie ran down the hall and tried to open the door, but the door was locked.

"I can't get in!" he yelled.

"Kitchen...meat thermometer!" she yelled back.

He hopped into action running as fast as he could to the kitchen, opening and slamming every drawer until he found where she kept the meat thermometer. He ran back and inserted it into the doorknob, then opened the door.

He found her laying in the tub shaking. Her body was as red as a rose. Every area where the water was touching her skin looked like it had been badly sunburnt. Jamie cursed under his breath.

"Jamie! It's too hot! I've got to get out. Now!" she yelled. "I can't get my limbs to cooperate."

He immediately pulled the plug on the water and turned the cold water on from the tap. He got the shower head down and turned it on so the cool water would spray over her shaking body.

"Calm down. I've got you," he said as he helped to pull her to her feet and supported her body. After he had sprayed her down, he helped her out of the tub and into a robe. He put her hair in a towel and then led her to her bedroom and onto the bed. "Shhh, just breathe," he said while rubbing her back. Her pulse was racing and her body was still throbbing underneath him.

"I'm so dizzy," she said looking over her shoulder to him.

"What were you thinking, getting the water so hot like that?" he asked, concern in his voice.

At that moment, the doorbell rang.

"That's our food. I'll be back. This conversation is not over," he simply stated, heading to answer the door.

Dakota laid there and thought about what she'd done. She hadn't wanted to scare him. She just needed to release some of this tension, and a hot bath seemed just the way to do that.

He walked back into the room. "Food's on the table. Now tell me why you put yourself at risk."

"I didn't mean to..."

"Dakota, you drew your own bath. That water was close to boiling. You could have passed out," he interrupted, anger coming through his voice.

"I didn't know it was that hot. I hadn't tested it," she said quietly.

"Well why didn't you get out then when you realized it?" he asked amazed.

"I'm sorry. I needed to de-stress and relax, and I thought a hot bath was the best way to do that," she tried to explain, her eyes showing remorse.

"What on earth are you worried about that it would take that hot of water to help you relax?" he asked incredulously.

"I don't want to tell you. You'll be as upset with me as I am with you and it'll only cause an argument," she said looking down at her hands.

"I need to know how to fix this. You haven't been yourself all day. Tell me. Now," he ordered calmly.

"No!" she yelled.

"Dakota...if this relationship is going to work we're going to have to communicate with each other."

"I'm not sure it's working now," she said in a low voice.

"What did you just say?" he asked.

"Ask your girlfriend," she spat back.

"Dakota, what are you talking about? I thought you were my girlfriend," he asked, clearly confused.

"So did I..." she stated, more sadness than anger poking through her emotions now.

"Where did you ever get the idea that I have another girlfriend?"

"I heard you talking on the phone last night to her," she confessed.

Jamie burst into uncontrollable laughter, almost doubling over on the bed.

"What's so funny?!" she yelled furiously.

"You heard me on the phone?" he asked, trying to contain his laughter and put a straight face back on, but failing miserably. "You were eavesdropping?"

"At least I wasn't talking to my other love while sitting in my girlfriend's apartment!" she yelled at him.

"Sweetheart, that wasn't my lover. You are my only girlfriend. I was talking to Dulcie and wishing her goodnight. It's our thing- every night before bed, I call and tell her how much I love her and wish her sweet dreams," he confessed.

"But she's not even two yet," Dakota answered, still not quite believing him.

"I don't care. I want her to know that she has two parents who love her and I don't want her going one day without hearing my voice," he replied, still smiling over Dakota's confusion.

"So it really was Dulcie?" Dakota asked.

"Yes," he stressed. "You the only girl in the whole world who I love like this." He kissed her head and gave her a gentle hug. "Are you feeling better? he asked.

"Yes, much. Thank you," she replied. "My body is finally calming down and relaxing now, physically, mentally, and emotionally."

"Good," he smiled.

"That's incredibly sweet of you," she states, finally reacting to the real reason he was on the phone saying what he did the night before.

Jamie just blushes and looks down in response. "Come on...our food is getting cold," he says, changing the topic. "Let's go eat."

Once they finished their lunch, Jamie started to clean up. Dakota admired his gorgeous physique while he gracefully placed the containers that held the remainder of their lunch into the refrigerator and threw the bag and plastic silverware away. She pondered whether or not to bring up a topic that had been on her mind a lot recently.

Jamie caught her beautiful blue eyes staring at him, deep in thought. "Penny for your thoughts?" he asked.

"I've been thinking about moving to Seattle," she states bravely, deciding to just throw the towel in.

Jamie looks up, surprise etched on his face. "Woah! Where did that come from?"

"Well, I'm tired of the fast pace of this city and having to watch my every. I love this city, but I think I'd feel a lot safer in Seattle. Plus, I'm in the mood for a change of scenery," she states.

"If you're in the mood for a change of scenery then go to the MET, don't move across the county," he says, still digesting her news. "Does this have anything to do with your stalker?" he finally asks.

"That was just the tip of the iceberg, Jamie. I've been pondering this for awhile now. His presence just pushed me over the edge. It would be so much safer there, for both of us," she adds the part on the end, hoping he'd notice.

"Wait, what do you mean 'for both of us'?"

"I'm mean, will you move with me? Can we find a place together out there?" she asks, hoping she won't regret her question.

"Dakota, do you realize how far that is from London?" he says, worrying her further.

"I know, I just thought you could visit and call..." she trails off.

"I have one condition," he interrupts her.

"Anything," she replies, regaining some hope.

"Dulcie gets her own room," he says.

"That's what I was planning on. I want her to be able to stay with sometimes," Dakota agrees.

"Then, yes, Ms. Johnson, I'd be honored to find a place to call home with you in Seattle."

Dakota squeals, hopping up off her barstool and running around the bar to jump into Jamie's arms.