Amongst the Stars

I clinch Joe's hand so hard he must not have any feeling left in his fingers. But I can't help but grab him tight. I don't want to lose him again.

We float amongst the stars, in a world of our own - wishing we only had to be concerned with the fate of our relationship and not the fate of the universe.

I wrap my arms around him from behind and he turns us toward Earth. We take a moment to drink in the beauty of the planet - the blue water dotted with continents I thought I would only see in science books. The clouds add to our ethereal outer space perspective.

We head down toward Earth but in only a few yards, we hit an invisible force field that won't let us go any further. We're trapped.

"What's going on?" I ask Joe. We both reach out our hands and try to feel our way around the invisible wall in front of us. There doesn't seem to be any way to move beyond it.

"They'll be here soon. Their allegiance is to your brother. They want you captured. I'll try to hold them off. No matter what happens, you need to find a way to escape. Don't worry about me, okay?" he says.

We hear a roar that sounds like an angry mass of bees after disturbing their hive. We turn to see thousands of soldiers departing the spacecraft and heading our way.

"Is there anything we can do?" I ask.

Joe's thinking and he starts feeling around the back of my suit.

"I don't think now's the time for that," I point out, smiling, despite the danger we're in.

"Ah ha!" Joe smiles. He unzips a small pocket and pulls out a thin wristband with a watch-like device on it. He puts it on.

"What are you going to do with that?" I shout as the soldiers are bearing down on us.

Joe plays with the wrist device and almost immediately the soldiers stop in their tracks. They're looking all around as if we're not there. I look at Joe.

"We're invisible, aren't we?"

"Yes, all I needed was one of these again," he holds up his wrist device and smiles.

Suddenly the soldiers come straight for us and then fly on by us.

"Come on, let's follow them out of the force field." Joe grabs my hand again and we fall in line with the soldiers. Eventually they give up on locating us and turn back to the spacecraft. We continue on to Earth.

As we re-enter Earth's atmosphere, I feel my suit heat up. I look down and I see a small tear in my suit on my right arm. I try to cover it with my left hand but the G-force is too great to move my hand. At this point, I can only pray that I'll still have my arm once we land.

Finally we break through and we touch down on the front lawn of my home. My arm feels like it's on fire. I ignore it and take off for the front door.

"Mom?! Mom?!" I run through the house, but it's empty. I find a note on the kitchen table. I tear it open and pull out a letter and necklace with a royal emblem.

Joe reaches for the necklace. "This must be your father's. It signifies his reign. It has powers of its own." He unclasps it and places it around my neck as I read the note.

Dear Emma, 

I pray that you are safe. You're a strong woman and you will need that strength for days to come. Whenever you are in doubt, trust your instincts.

At this point, you must know who your father was. I'm sorry you had to find out under these circumstances. I had always hoped to tell you myself. I could never seem to find the words. Know that your father was a loving, kind man. He swept me off my feet when we met. He has your irresistible smile and strength. He told me that he was from another planet and I didn't care. I loved him so much. You are a product of that love. We had hoped we could be a family forever but his planet needed him and we felt it was best for me to raise you here on Earth. Enclosed is a necklace that he asked me to give to you the day he left us.

A friend of your father is taking me to an unknown location. I will remain there until you have decided your future. It's the safest thing for all of us. I will be okay and please know that I will support the future you want for yourself. Do what is right in your heart.

I love you so very much. I couldn't be prouder of whom you've become. Your father would be proud too.

I'm told that one of the finest men from your father's planet is protecting you. I take great comfort in knowing that.

Be well my love.

With all my heart, Mom

I finish the letter and I wrap my arms around Joe and weep. He holds me tight. The weight of everything that has happened settles in on my shoulders knowing that everyone's future rests squarely on me.

Joe picks me up and carries me to the living room. He lays me down on the couch. I wince in pain and his eyes go to my arm. I follow his gaze to the ugly, burn that ate away my skin to the bone.

"My suit was torn," I explain.

"Aren't you in pain?" he asks.

"It hurts - that's for sure."

"We need to get you out of this suit so I can tend to that wound."

"No, we need to get to my uncle and deal with my brother."

"Not until we patch you up. You're no good if this wound gets infected."

"Do it quickly. There are bandages in the bathroom."

Joe runs and grabs the bandages. I see the wrist device on the table. I grab it and find the teleport function. I close my eyes and pray it works. The next thing I know, I'm back in Hawaii.

Everything is as I left it. The soldiers are on the lawn, frozen in place. I enter the house and my uncle is on the floor and my brother stands nearby - looking every bit of evil he must be.

I run to my uncle and place my body on top of his. I close my eyes and suddenly everything comes alive around us. My uncle moans underneath me. My brother runs toward us as I scramble to teleport again. I lose my grip on the device. I feel the weight of my brother on top of me. He wraps his arm around my neck. I feel the life drain out of me. My fingers find the wristband. I frantically press it. Everything goes black.

When I awake, I'm asleep in my bed. I have on a T-shirt and shorts. My arm is bandaged. The house is quiet. I push myself up only to fall back down. I close my eyes and fall back into a deep sleep.