Chapter 2

Loki found himself walking around the gardens. The fresh air was helping him to calm and he could smell the freshly cut grass and the distant scent of the roses in the rose gardens below.

He sat himself on one of the stone benches in a secluded section of the gardens. He leant against the hedge and, with a green flash, a book appeared in his hands. He relaxed and began to read. He was lost in a world of words when he heard the sound of a commotion not too far from where he was. He grunted in annoyance at the disturbance and peered over the hedge to where the sound appeared to be coming from.

"Please stop... I didn't do anything. I swear it!"

A handsome auburn haired young man, slim build, pale skinned and dressed in what appeared to be the clothes of the lower classes of Asgard was being manhandled by a much older man who seemed quite irate.

"I know it was you!" The man said as he pulled at the young man's collar. "Your friends may have scarpered but I know!"

"Please! I didn't do anything. It wasn't me!" The young man was pleading as the older man's hand pulled back.

"Excuse me, kind sir, but what appears to be the problem here?" Loki's voice rang out across the courtyard.

The older man stopped before he hit the young man and tried to bow, still holding his collar.

"Prince Loki, your highness, I'm so sorry to have disturbed you! This young man has taken something of mine and he will not return it so I was just getting it back..."

"What has he taken?" Loki asked, cutting the man off.

"Your highness, my liege, I didn't take anything. I swear it. I was walking by and some others took what he is speaking of but he doesn't believe me!" The young man stammered.

"You! You do not speak to the Prince! Thief!" The old man shook him hard.

"What has he taken?" Loki asked again.

"He has taken a locket from my shop." The older man answered.

Loki looked at the youth who tried to bow but was hindered by the man holding him.

"Stand up," Loki demanded.

The older man slackened his hold so the youth could stand upright. He was just an inch shorter than Loki and Loki looked him in the eye.

"Did you take the man's goods?" Loki asked him gently.

"I did not, Prince Loki. I swear it upon my mother and my sister."

Loki looked at the tears beginning to pool in the younger man's eyes.

"Let him go, good sir." He told the man. "I believe the youths that you seek are not this fellow and I shall have the Palace recompense your loss as per my command."

"But... Yes, Prince Loki. Right away." The older man stammered as he walked back towards the town.

The young man, legs shaking from the confrontation, landed with a thump on the ground. He looked around trying to gather his thoughts.

"Are you OK? What's your name?" Asked Loki with concern in his voice.

"My Prince, my name is Frode. I am so sorry to have interrupted your day." He scrambled to get to his feet whilst still trying to bow.

"Please stop that," laughed Loki. "You don't have to keep bowing. Really. I may be a Prince but I don't need to ever hold a conversation again because people only want to bend to the royal protocol."

"I'm sorry. So sorry, my Prince. Sorry." Stuttered Frode looking at the ground. "I really should be..."

"Walk with me, Frode." Loki said calmly as he started back towards the gardens.