23 | Flowers and Gratitude

Start from the beginning

So, she moved with her daughter to Miyagi to live in her parents' house that they left behind for her. She continued to be a single mother while still mourning her beloved husband. She became a Physics teacher in a high school to support them. She saved up for her daughter's education, which ended up being in Tokyo, far from her. Her daughter ended up moving there, but she's back in town temporarily for a break. Mrs. Sasaki's been through a lot, quite a strong woman to look up to.

"That's delightful to hear." I feel relieved.

There's some light catching up and Wakatoshi seems very happy talking to her.

"Tell me, Wakatoshi. What brought you here today? It's lovely having a new guest."

"Hana tutors me after school, she insisted I come by."

"I see. Are you the Ushijima's son?" Mrs. Sasaki's familiar with the families of the prefecture.

"Yes, I am."

"My, you look so much like your mother."

"How do you know her, Mrs. Sasaki?" I ask. "She was a student of mine," she responds.

"Really?" He looks surprised. "Yes, yes. She was one of my Physics students," she says.

"That's quite the coincidence. Small world, isn't it?" I laugh.

We're surrounded by positivity and happiness. Mrs. Sasaki is a very bright woman. Her presence is always comforting for me. After some time, she stands up. "I'll go make some tea for our guest."

"Please don't tire yourself, Mrs. Sasaki," he pleads.

"He's right, we just came by to see you. We've got lots of studying to do."

She sweetly smiles and nods.

"It's time for my afternoon medicine. Would grab it for me, Hana?"

"Yes, of course." I take her arm and lead her to her bedroom before handing her the medicine. I grab a glass of water for her. Wakatoshi steps outside for a bit before walking back in.

"We'll be off now," I say softly. I can get the lavenders another time. I needed to see her today.

"Thank you, Mrs. Sasaki," Wakatoshi says.

"Come again, you two!"

We close the door on the way out. Though it's subtle, it's like even the color on Wakatoshi's face changes. Not the gloomier colors. I can tell he's social internally, though he doesn't show it. We head into the backyard and begin working under the tree. I rest my back on its sturdy trunk.

"All right. Let's do this," I crack my knuckles. Our lesson commences.

We begin working in literature. His big test is in two days and today is our final lesson. We go over word exercises, then poems, and a bunch of other practices for a good hour. Then, I give him the hardest passage I prepared back in January before we started. Luckily, Wakatoshi has gained the skill and he's able to complete it successfully. After I check it, it's all correct.

"You did it," I say softly. He looks stoked. "I did?"

"Yes, you did."

"It's all thanks to you. I wouldn't have been here without you, Hana," he nods.

We look at the breathtaking hill view behind the fence. He looks like a child who finally achieved a goal. It's safe to say that the view changed. It doesn't look as dark and uninviting. The feeling it gives also changes, with a new memory now placed in my mind. It grants me a happier feeling, no longer reeking of regret.