Epilogue 3: The Best Thing He Ever Had

And then she cried.

His face was also tear-streaked. And he was still crying. He loved her. He truly loved her. It was completely overwhelming. She felt herself snap and the tears began to flow as well. Unable to control herself, she covered her mouth with her hand to prevent her loud sob from escaping.

"Mione, you okay?" Harry whispered beside her.

"I feel terrific, Harry, honestly."

She couldn't believe this. She was getting married to the man who rescued her from a bar, nursed her back to proper health, agreed to get her revenge, made her enjoy Quidditch, saved her from the bar again, followed her halfway around the world to admit his true feelings which she didn't even know existed, took her places, admitted something to the public that could probably ruin his relationship with his family, saved her from her deranged ex-boyfriend (okay, tried) and finally agreed to marry her. She can't believe all the stuff that happened to her life was because she finally decided to let go of someone who didn't appreciate her at all.

Hermione couldn't wait to let go of Harry. She could have, if it wasn't for her Maid of Honour. Plus, Harry didn't seem to be in much of a hurry as well. She looked at him and he looked back teasingly. He shook hands with him and pulled him into a man-hug before symbolically placing her hand in Draco's and walking off to his seat.

"I love you," Draco whispered in her ear as he led her to the altar.

"I love you too," she replied.

The music died down and the Binder spoke.

"Dearly beloved family and friends," he began. "We are here today to celebrate the union of this man and this woman. To all those who object to their marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Draco was prepared to hex anyone who dared. He smirked when, after ten seconds, no one did.

In Draco's opinion, the whole thing was too long. He wanted to get to the vows already. He wanted the Binder to announce them as Mr and Mrs Draco Malfoy. He wanted so many things at the moment. He wanted her most of all. He would have to wait, but then again, he knew that waiting with her by his side on the altar was worth it. Less than an hour left, Draco, he thought. Restrain yourself. He stared at her for a moment, his soon-to-be wife, and recalled a memory.

"Why is she wearing a veil?" Draco had asked his grandfather when he was a child. "Isn't Rodolphus going to kiss Auntie Bella? How can he with that veil in the way?"

"The veil is a symbol, Little Dragon," his grandfather replied patiently. "It implies that a man must always show respect for a woman. He may look at her, but he may not go beyond that unless she is his wife."

Of course, Draco had forgotten that over the years. He'd had his fair share of "going beyond" as a teenager. Only now did he understand. Their relationship was at a steady pace. He didn't rush her, and she didn't want to be rushed. With her, he knew his boundaries. He knew how to control himself and when too far really was "too far." It was one of her effects on him.

His silent musings while staring at her seemed to have had an effect on time. He felt the cord and veil being wrapped around them, and soon it was time for the vows.

The two of them stood up and faced each other, while Teddy gave them the rings.

"Hermione Jean Granger," he began, caressing her left hand. Man, he loved saying her name. "I promise to love you in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer and until death do us part. With this ring, I thee wed." He slipped the ring in her finger over the engagement ring and felt a sense of success."