The Boomerang Effect

I wanted you bad,

I'm so through with it,

'Cause honestly you turned out to be the best thing I never had,

You turned out to be the best thing I never had,

And I'm gon' always be the best thing you never had,

Oh yeah, I bet it sucks to be you right now!

"Can I open my eyes now?" Hermione pleaded. Her heart was about to explode from the suspense. Draco's soft hands were covering her eyes and it felt great.

"We're almost there, love, be patient," his voice crooned. Then he let out a light chuckle at the end. His heart was also about to explode. He'd been preparing for this night for so long.

It had been quite a handful of months since the shocking news of their relationship exploded out into the public. Harry of course, knew this had been coming since that day they walked into his Quidditch tent before the match, but he had a word with Draco and made sure that he knew how far into oblivion he would be hexed if he broke her heart. Ginny flooed into Hermione's apartment that day with a bottle of Firewhisky. Luckily, Draco came in before anyone could get drunk. Blaise danced with triumph into Draco's office the following morning, chanting "I told you so" over and over again. Ron, however, didn't say a thing, which was just fine with everyone.

They'd been in Venice for a week now, on another one of Hermione's business trips. He had one arm around her shoulders to keep her balance and the other grasping hers for reassurance. He whispered instructions in her ear and told her to stop at the top stair.

"Can I take it off now—?" Her question died in her throat as she felt his lips moving gently against hers. She put her arms around his neck instinctively and she could feel him undoing his blindfold. She opened her eyes when they parted for air, and she took in another gasp at the sight.

"Happy anniversary, love," he whispered in her ear. Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes. He truly was unpredictable.

They were at the rooftop of their current inn. There was a blanket spread on one area covered in rose petals and surrounded by tea candles. She guessed that the food probably wasn't in the picnic basket, and that it had only been added for effect. He took her hand and led her to the blanket and took out some wine and glasses from the picnic basket. With a flick of his wand, he levitated the plate of food towards them. They started to eat under the pale glow of the moonlight and the dim light provided by the candles.

After serving dessert, they cuddled together for a while, just talking.

"Look over there," he told her, pointing to a blank patch of sky. He had both arms around her waist, and she held him in place by holding his hands. A park shot in the sky and exploded. More sparks followed along with more explosions. It lit up the dull evening sky.

"That's how I felt the first time I kissed you," he whispered in her ear, then kissed her on the lips again.

"You really set the bar high for next year, Malfoy," Hermione said when they parted.

"Wait until next year," he reassured, leaning in for another kiss.

"These came in for you today, Miss Granger," Agatha said, referring to a medium-sized bouquet of flowers. She and Draco had just flown in from Italy, but she had to come to check on her section.

"Thanks Agatha," she replied, taking the bouquet. Hermione walked in her office and read the card.

It's been so long. Can we meet today?

She smiled to herself, thinking that it was Draco being his usual romantic self; instead she flipped the card and found Ron's name on it. She grabbed her wand and thought of a happy memory. The first that came up was of course, Venice.