Chapter 1

Alina loved Fedyor, as a friend. Well, more like a brother. That's why he was her personal Heartrender, just like Ivan was Aleksander's. Alina knew Fedyor had saved her life at least ten times by now, likely more.

"Fedyor?"

"Yes Alina?"

"What do you think of Silver and Blue, for the party? I know Aleks will want black, but I fear that's a bit too.. dark, for a baby shower." Alina rested her hand on her stomach. See, Alina was six months pregnant. She'd been away from Aleks for five. They'd kept it secret, to surprise Aleks when they got to Os Alta. Only Fedyor, Ivan, Zoya and Genya knew. Though Alina knew it was highly likely a few of their other friends knew too (mainly David, so they could avoid his panic over the baby not having furniture made for them.)

The man across from Alina chuckled. "I think it's perfect. Silver is close to grey, and grey is simply a lighter black after all. How are you going to tell him it's a baby shower?"

"I think seeing me six months pregnant will do just fine, Fedyor" he chuckled again.

"Indeed it will-" they came to a stop. Fedyor didn't even have to say a thing, Alina knew to stay put. The man slipped out, and Alina pulled her kefta tighter around her. Genya had managed to sneak Alina a larger Kefta, to accomodate for the child, but Alina didn't want to risk a fight.

She jumped when Fedyor opened the door. "We need to go, now! Come Moya Tsarina" Alina didn't hesitate to grab Fedyors outstretched hand and let him help her out. "I will bring us to shelter, Ivan will know something is wrong when we do not arrive or send word, they will come looking." Alina simply nodded, following Fedyor through the forest.

Alina was tired when they did eventually get to the cave, but she was happy to just sit. Fedyor ushered her further in, and he quickly set down the pack he'd managed to grab. "I'll keep guard tonight, you rest. In the morning we might be able to move." Alina wanted to argue that he too needed sleep, but the look he gave her was enough for her to agree and sit down. They were lucky the pack Fedyor had grabbed had a bed roll in it.

The Second Army used to not carry them, until Alina made it mandatory. It made sense to her, that should they have to camp out in the forest, they have something to sleep on. The First Army carried them, so why shouldn't the Second? The Durasts had worked their magic on them, thankfully.

Alina was quick to fall asleep, curled up in the roll.

Fedyor glanced back at her and sighed. He was worried, and rightfully so. It was rare for a pregnancy among the Grisha, they were higher risk than those of Otkazat'sya, and being in the cold for this long, he was worried for Alina. As much as he trusted the Tsar, he knew, if something happened to Alina on his watch, his head would roll. The Tsar was protective of his wife, and everyone knew it.

He shook his head out of his thoughts and turned back to the outside of the cave. He should probably look for firewood, to ensure they kept warm. Attracting attention be damned. It was that or the cold could kill them, granted, she could summon heat, and he could keep their blood flowing, but he didn't want to risk hurting her, and summoning had become difficult for her lately, regardless of her amplifiers.

He ran a hand through his hair, this would be a very, very long night.

The next day, Alina woke up to Fedyor building a fire. "Morning"

"Morning. I managed to catch us something. Thank the Saints for the Tsar making us learn to hunt." Alina laughed.

"Yeah it was smart of him." She smiled slightly and got up. "Did anything happen last night?"

"No. It was calm. I suspect a search party has been sent out by now. It's unlikely they'd leave your life to chance."

"And yours. Fedyor, you're one of the best Heartrenders we have. Plus, I think Ivan would desert if we left you to die." Fedyor chuckled and Alina smiled, slowly getting up. "Do you think they'll find us?"

"Yes. Ivan knows to look for three heartbeats. Any other Corporalki on the teams will also know this." Alina nodded.

"Thank you, Fedyor. I appreciate this.. truly."

"You don't need to thank me. Even if it wasn't my job, you're my sister Alya, I'd never abandon my family."

"Fedyor, can I ask something of you? I know Aleksander will agree, but I want you to be this child's Grishno." Grishno, were the ones who looked after a child, should the parents pass. It was a term used before Grisha was, and it was still used today. "Ivan too.. I know typically the child would go to a noble, but I'd prefer you and-" Alina was cut off with a hug.

"I would be honored. You are my sister. I would be more than happy to be the one you'd entrust your child to."

"You'll have to share with Genya and Zoya though" he laughed.

"Two Grishno and Two Grishnoa, this poor child." Alina laughed.

"At least they'll be safe.."

"The entirety of the Second Army will protect them, they will be one of us. They will be safe." Fedyor smiled and Alina nodded. "Come on, we should make a mark of sorts so they know we're here." Alina nodded, and followed Fedyor ourside, they could light the fire later.

In Os Alta, there was a panic. Aleks was worried about his wife. Ivan was worried about his husband, his Tsarina and the baby. He dreaded what could happen if the Tsar knew it wasn't only Alina in danger, but the heir to Ravka too.

Ivan was one of the first to head out. He knew the roads they'd planned to take, he knew Fedyor would stay as close to the road as he could. He just hoped he didn't find bodies when he arrived.