17: The Millennium Eye

Start from the beginning

Fear surged through Kira's body unexpectedly, a different feeling than her own. She looked over and saw Yami shaking, his face twisted into anger at Pegasus' confession. He looked over at her with scared eyes, something she never thought she would see on Yami's face.

"Hm..." Pegasus said. "I see you and Kira Ellen have some abilities as well. Talking to each other with your thoughts? That's a clever trick. However, you can only hear thoughts that the other wants you to hear, right? Well, why don't I share some of your unspoken thoughts to level the playing field?" Pegasus bored his gaze into Kira. "She's scared Yugi-Boy. She scared of your power that comes with Millineum Item. She's scared that right now you are losing a battle you cannot afford to lose. She is scared of what I'll do to you when I take your soul for myself. She's scared of what will happen to her if I win this duel. But you know what she's most scared of? She's scared of..." Pegasus chuckled and Kira frowned. "How sweet is that? She's scared of losing you and not being able to help!"

"Enough Pegasus!" Yami shouted at him, giving Kira a sideways and now knowing glance.

"Shouldn't I tell her about your thoughts too?" Pegasus smirked. "It's only fair. You care deeply for her do you not?" Kira's face burned and turned to stare at Yami. "I can tell she's in your thoughts often. That admiration you have for her. The way you see her is quite extraordinary." Kira and Yami met each other's gaze.

'He's trying to get between us,' Yugi told her.

'I know and it's working,' said Kira. 'We are more powerful together than we are separate.'

'You're right,' Yugi agreed.

Yami suddenly turned back to Pegasus. "No matter the odds, I will never surrender to you, Pegasus!" He put a card upside down. "I play one monster in defense mode and end my turn. Now, do your worst!"

"Yugi, you can do it!" Téa called out from above Kira.

"Yeah!" Joey added. "Nobody has won this duel yet!"

"Could it be my turn?" Pegasus drew a card as he joked. "It's the moment you've all been waiting for."

'Oh no,' Kira thought.

"First, Ryu-ran in defense mode. Not eggs-actly what you were expecting, is it? And I switch the archery girl to defense mode too. Your move Yugi," Pegasus challenged.

Yami clenched his fist. "I'll scramble your egg. If that's the best you've got, I'll still defeat you!" He drew a card and looked between the new card and his deck.

"Could the card you just drew be Summoned Skull?" Pegasus asked wryly.

"Curse you, Pegasus!" Yami grumbled.

"I think the summoned skull will go very nicely with your celtic guardian, spellbinding circle, magical hats, and horn imp."

'He knows your line up!' Kira told him. 'You have to find a way to play without him reading your mind!'

'How?' Yugi questioned with wide eyes. 'He knows all my card the instant I draw! With that Millennium Eye of his, he's unstoppable!'

Before Kira could answer, a shiver passed through her and she felt something pulling her and calling her to it. In confusion, she looked up and could see Joey, Téa, and Bakura standing directly above her. Bakura's eyes were narrowed as he looked at something off of the arena. Kira followed his gaze to see him watching Croquet, who was pacing on the opposite of the room on a walkie talkie. It had to be the Milliieum Ring he had. Somehow she could feel it. Like she could feel the Millineum Eye and the Millineum Puzzle.