Lost & Alone

"I don't understand..." I whispered to myself while starring out the dirtied window of my house; my family's house. The rain fell from the sky, soaking the pavement with its drops. To me, it seemed as if the sky was crying. Soon silent tears were running down my own face. It seemed to be the only thing I've done these past few days. 

Boxes surrounded the almost empty house, sending an eerie vibe down my spine. The movers would be here tomorrow to gather the rest of the things, while I moved into my grandma’s house. The only living relative I had left, though I wasn't sure how much longer she'd be around. Granny was reaching eighty, and her health wasn't the best.

I tried not to think about them, I really did. But every item in this house reminded me of them. I had taken my first steps in this house, along with my younger brother William. For the past seventeen years of my life, this had been the home I had always known. Now it seemed as if all those memories were going to be nothing but a fade or blur of what once was.

It was a drunk driver, of course. How fucking cliché. I thought bitterly to myself while pushing the curtains closed. They medical examiners had said it was quick, and painless. Though honestly I think that's what they're paid to tell people. It still hadn't registered in my mind that they were no longer here with me.

I would never wake up to my mom's Sunday pancakes again.  My brother William would never start his freshman year of high school, and my dad would no longer be able to take me on our annual father daughter camping trip this summer.

So many things lost, and broken. My heart was shattered into a million pieces, and I had never felt so alone and lost in my life. This had to be a dream, it just had to.

"Please come back." I whispered to myself; slowly sinking to the floor in a heap of tears.

"Don't leave me alone..." I trailed off as I once again emerged into a fit of hysteria and broken hearted sobs.