Star-Crossed Lovers

Magsimula sa umpisa

Letting out a huff, I then began to sniff around the piles of herbs, which hadn't been organized at all that day. Also not by choice...

As the cats of ThunderClan had flowed into the den throughout the day, I'd only had enough time to grab what I needed from the store to get cats in and out as quickly as possible. Now, all that was left as the sun was beginning to set was a big, horrendous mess, and the smells of all the different herbs were actually beginning to blend together.

Praying to StarClan that another cat wouldn't stroll in, complaining about their battle wounds, I then began to sort the jumble of herbs. If another cat walks in here, I'm just about ready to just grab a pawful of herbs, throw it at them, and tell them to pick what they want and treat themselves!

If I hadn't made it obvious enough already (if not, where is your mind?), the medicine den had been very busy since the Great Battle, and I had probably seen every cat in ThunderClan at least two times. The battle had just been about a quarter moon ago, but it had like much, much longer.

And when I wasn't treating my Clanmates' wounds - some simple scratches, and some nearly fatal - my mind had been swirling with even more exhausting thoughts - thoughts of the countless amounts of evil spirits that had poured into the ThunderClan camp, my powers that had felt so overwhelmingly strong, and seeing cats that I had known for moons and moons go to StarClan - including Firestar, my kin and ThunderClan's leader, and Hollyleaf, my own sister.

I could still hardly believe that the two of them, among many others, were gone, all because of a pointless grudge that many dead cats felt that they needed to express through violence.

But despite that, and despite all of the almost unbearable grief and anger that I still felt every single day, I still tried to remind myself of the good; the Clan now thrived under new leadership - my foster father, Bramblestar, with his deputy, Lilypetal. The two definitely made a great team, but also individually brought so much hope and spirit that the Clan sought out now more than ever.

And Leafpool was also helping me in the medicine den - only after I had reluctantly allowed her to. But somehow, I'd found it in my heart to forgive her.

Things were just fine, and I truthfully hadn't been able to say that in a long, long time.

But that thought quickly burned to ash like a wildfire rushing through a forest when I suddenly heard movement behind me, and what felt lick a small rock hit the back of my head.

I let out an enraged hiss as I touched one of my paws to my head. "What in the name of-" I then whipped myself around as I continued to hiss, and I could feel my lips curling back into a snarl. "Who threw that?"

It only took me a moment for me to answer my own question, and I let my fur lay flat again as I quickly recognized the scent that flooded through my nose, and the purr that I could hear coming from the medicine den's entrance. "Goldenshine! What in the name of StarClan is wrong with you!?" I scoffed at my friend, my tail still twitching with irritation. "What was that?"

The golden brown tabby she-cat didn't reply immediately, and all I heard was what sounded like a small object roll across the den, eventually stopping at my paws. I flicked my ears as I recognized the scent, and lifted my head as I then heard Goldenshine's pawsteps trot towards me.

"A juniper berry!" she finally exclaimed through what sounded like a full mouth. Once she had arrived to my stock of herbs, I heard the several plops of berries landing on the ground next to my herb stock. "I grabbed a bunch for you!"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Great. More work to do. "Well, aren't you so nice," I muttered through gritted teeth.

Goldenshine then seemed to push the berries around with her paws. "I have no idea if you actually need them, but they looked especially good today." I then felt her poke my shoulder her tail. "And they reminded me of your eyeballs."