Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty!

Start from the beginning

The woman they captured was, James’ best guess, 20-25, with brown hair and broken glasses. She was wearing a knit sweater that was once all-white, but was now singed black and stained red. Shit. She’s already dead. She appeared to be at least, her face was covered in scars and burns, and she was laying in a heap at the feet of the four Death Eaters, whose backs were all towards James. She wasn’t moving.

“Well, what are we gonna do with her?” asked the shortest Death Eater.

“We’re going to kill her, idiot,” answered one with a particularly dull-sounding voice.

Not dead, then, thank Merlin.

“Couldn’t we have a little fun first? Where’s the sport?” came a high, shrill voice that James thought he recognized from school, but he couldn’t completely place.

“You know what we do with mudbloods, Yxborn,” said a sneery voice that James recognized immediately. Snape. Shit. And that’s Cynthia Yxborn. Also shit. Cynthia Yxborn had been two years above them at Hogwarts, a Ravenclaw girl whose spellwork sent more Muggleborn students to the Hospital Wing than Mulciber and Avery combined. Oh, and she was raising her wand. SHIT.

He threw his wand up, whipping it at Yates, screamed the first spell he thought of, a frantic “REDUCTO!”, which got Cynthia to turn around, just in time for the spell to fly into her face, shattering her mask and sending her flying backwards into the dull-sounding Death Eater.

“It’s him!” Snape yelled as James sent a Stupefy directly at the chest of the short Death Eater, causing them to drop like a sack, unconscious. He lowered his wand arm and slid silently to his right, moving away from Snape’s cone of vision. I sort of hope I didn’t just kill Cynthia.

“Snivelly, be a pal and check that I didn’t just waste your friend, there, would you?” James said, as Snape threw spells towards a spot five feet to his left. “Missed, by the way.”

“ Accio Invisibility Cloak.”

James stood silent to let Snape’s stupidity wash over him. It felt good. Like a warm shower, almost. James immediately purged all thoughts of Snape and showers out of his mind, continued to circle the room and said “Wow, no one’s thought of that before! You’ve truly figured out how to defeat me.” He threw in a few slow claps for good measure as Snape continued to hex the walls and air. “Not gotten better at dueling then, have you Snape?” A quick nonverbal Expelliarmus! sent Snape’s wand flying across the room and rolling towards his feet. He picked up Snape’s wand, pulled his cloak off his shoulders, and, sticking his cloak back in his pocket, pointed his wand directly at Snape’s hooded head.

“Hey, Snape. On your knees. And take the mask off, Jesus, you look stupid.” Snape slid to his knees, and pulled the mask from his face. His expression was, to put it mildly, murderous. “So…how have you been? Still a bigoted arse?”

“Watch your mouth, Potter.”

“Aw, I missed you too. Now, here’s what we’re going to do. One: I’m not going to kill you, which, you’re welcome. Two: I’m going to take this girl out of here. What’s her name, by the way?”