Mikasa Ackerman

[Mikasa's POV]

As I delt the cards and drank some tequila, my mind seemed to ponder away.

I thought of Eren.

Was he safe?

It was my job to look after him.

I saw him leave somewhere with Annie. That can't be good. I don't trust her. And I know for a fact she doesn't trust me. Eren running around with Annie was dangerous. Out of all the people he could be spending time with, it had to be her.

I should go check on him. Make sure she isn't doing anything to him. Make sure she isn't trying to blow his cover.

I get up from the table.

"Hey, you alright? You're not one to give up on a game." Jean looked at me worried.

"No, I'll be right back. I just need to use the restroom." I walked out.

Terrible excuse, Mikasa. There's a restroom in the private lobby. Shit. I hope he doesn't realize.

I looked around for them. This place was huge. They could be anywhere.

I go to the bar tender. "Hey, did you see Annie anywhere?"

I asked where Annie was because the tender is more familiar with her rather than Eren.

"She got drinks with a boy just a while ago. I saw them use the elevator."

I nod. "Thanks."

I go into the elevator.

Why would they use the elevator? And what floor could they be on?

I didn't think they would be in the bottom cellar. That's where the boss and higher ups are. That only leaves floor 1, 2, 3 and the roof.

The first floor is usually filled with older folk plahing cards.

That's out.

The second floor is for the drunk assholes and their greedy desires.

That's out. Unless... No.

The third floor is a lounge. I bet they're up there.

I press the third floor button.

Once I'm there I walk out.

Nobody seems to be up here.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

I hear a voice say.

"Yea, it is."

It was Eren's voice, as well as Annie's.

I see them. They're on the rooftop.

They lean in the sturdy stone railings.

They gaze upon the city lights.

Oh. Not what I expected.

A small smile creeps up on my face.

I guess I'm not needed here then.

Before I turn to leave, I look at the two of them one last time.

This is the first time I've seen Annie voluntarily socialize with someone. And Eren looks happy.

I'm almost jealous.

Why am I jealous though?

Because I want to be happy like them. But I don't have someone like that...

Jean...

He's always been good to me. But I can't let him into my heart. I'm still in this mission. And he's a criminal. Remember that, Mikasa.

I turn to walk away.

The truth is. Part of my role is getting close with Jean. I pretend to be interested in him. That's my job. I don't care who's heart I have to break or who I have to hurt. I choose my obligation over anything else. It's about damn time this case gets cracked and these assholes get exposed.

But then again...

[Flashback to two years ago when Mikasa first joined the investigation and was undercover]

"This is Mikasa and Armin. They are new employees directly under Zeke. You will treat them as equals. Armin is our brain. Protect him as you protect each other. On the other hand, Mikasa is the muscle. She'll be protecting you most of the time." Levi introduced us.

When he told them about me, most of their facial expressions turned into shock.

Their thoughts were asking how I would be the muscle. I'm built fair, but my muscle constitution is what makes me incredibly strong. I can carry things up to 15 times my body weight.

"Welcome aboard, friends!" A girl with black long hair gives the both of us hugs. "I'm Pieck!"

After everyone introduced themselves they parted. Except for Pieck who offered to help Armin and I set up our rooms and housing. She showed us around the complex and to be honest, it was really nice. Better than anything I've ever seen.

"We practically live here. But we all have our own apartments. Most of the time we are expected to be here so we just spend some nights here." She scratches her head.

"Hey, short stack."

An unfamiliar voice called at Pieck from behind us.

"Huh?" She turns. "Oh, Jean, there you are!"

"Who are your friends?"

She smiles. "Our friends! They're new recruits! Levi picked them himself. This is Armin." She points to him. "This is Mikasa." She points to me.

I look at the man named Jean and I am met with his rosey cheeks and his yellow eyes staring at me. It's like he's in a trance.

"Nice to meet you, Jean." Armin offers out his hand to shake but Jean is still staring at me.

"Nice to meet you." I say with no emotion.

"Uh-uhh." His mouth slightly gapes open.

"Um, okay. Creepy." Pieck giggles a bit and continues her tour.

Armin follows immediately but I stare back at the boy, Jean, a little more. Something about him. Can't quite put my finger on it.

I turn and walk away.

"Wait!"

I hear his voice fumble.

I stop and turn.

"You have e beautiful black hair... sorry... I just wanted to tell you that." His face is red and plotted with sweat.

"Thank you."

Although there is no smile on my face when I look at him, the moment I turn around to follow Pieck, I can't help but let - small smile on my face expand.

That's it. That's what I was trying to figure out. That's what's so different about him...