Chapter 9 | Saving Me

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, my teacher let me out a little late." No she didn't, I was just stalling so I didn't have to see your ugly ass face.

"Don't be late next time." I roll my eyes and start taking out my supplies from my backpack. "Did you hear me?" he asks after I don't respond.

"Sorry." Stop apologizing, you didn't do anything. "I'll be here on time." He seems satisfied with my answer because he nods and starts to unpack his backpack too.

We discuss what we're gonna do on the project, which took longer than it should have because Jake wasn't willing to compromise on any of my ideas but it's whatever. We finally start on the project both working peacefully on our assigned parts until Jake decides to open his stupid mouth after only thirty minutes of working.

"Sage, what the fuck are you doing?" he questions harshly. All of the students look over at us and I send them all what I hope is a smile.

I turn back to Jake. "What do you mean?"

"What do you mean?" he mimics. "We're supposed to be writing everything in the imperfect, not the preterit, dumb ass."

"No we're not. I looked back at the instructions and it said preterit," I defend, trying to keep my calm so we don't attract any more attention.

"You're wrong," he counters.

"I'm not, you can look at the instructions if you want."

He opens up his chromebook and I assume goes to the document that has all of the instructions on it. After watching him skim the document for a few seconds, he roughly closes his computer and then turns to me.

"If you saw that I was doing my part wrong then why didn't you say anything? Now I have to redo everything," he complains, as it's my fault that he did his part wrong.

"This isn't my fault," I say.

"Of course it is," he amends.

"No it's not. You mixed up the instructions, not me. Don't go blaming me for something that I had nothing to do with," I defend, my voice strong. My eyes slightly widen at the realization that I just stood up for myself.

"Oh yeah?" Shit.

"Yeah."

"Well now, you're gonna fix my mistake. I don't feel like redoing it," he orders.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. You're redoing my part of the project." This bitch.

"And what if I don't want to redo it, Jake?"

"Then you'll regret it," he threatens.

"I'll regret it?" An incredulous laugh escapes me. "Who the hell even are you? I don't ever remember giving you the right to speak to me like this." I'm so tired of his bullshit. I'm done.

"I can't talk to anyone however I want, especially you," he answers, a scary glare settling on his face.

"Especially me? Okay, you know what? I'm out of here, I'll finish this project on my own." I quickly shove everything in my backpack no matter how much it pains me to see it all unorganized. I have to get out of here, I can't stand to look at his face for another second.

As I'm standing up, Jake reaches across the table and grabs onto my wrist harshly. As I'm trying to wriggle out of his hold, I look up trying to catch the eyes of the other people in the room but they all look like they are doing their best to avoid looking at Jake and I.

I can feel my eyes start to water out of frustration because no one is willing to help me and Jake's grip on my wrist is starting to hurt more by the second. I don't give up though, one final yank and my wrist is free, allowing me to hightail out of the room and get as far away from Jake as I can.