Lords and Ladies of Pierre-mont

*Five days later*

I stared at my reflection blankly while Grandmother's hairdresser did my hair in the most ridiculous updo I had ever seen. Five days have passed since the town's physician told me that there was nothing he could do to help papa. Five days since I agreed to become Grandmother's granddaughter and heir. And five days since I've seen my Timothee. "Which would you like, m'lady?" The hairdresser held up two very distinctly different head pieces. "The diamonds or the jades?" My dress was an emerald green with silver curli-cues stitched along the bodice.

The diamond head piece is very much a tiara with an assortment of small diamonds. Although the diamonds were small, there were so many that it would catch the eyes of every noble man and woman tonight. The jades were much simpler. The piece would fit right on my forehead and clasp to the back of my do. I preferred it, really. I was unused to glamour. "The jade, if you don't mind." She smiled, pleased with my choice. "O' course, m'lady. You've chosen well." She placed the headpiece carefully on my head.

"Are you English? I don't think I've heard your accent in this region before."

She blushed. "My father's irish, mother's welsh, but I grew up in the Missus DuPont's household and took meself with her when she wed." Irish and welsh. The world seemed to get bigger just then. "After being with the missus for so long, I begun to lose it my mother tongue." I would doubt I would lose mine. Grandmother would make sure of it. "Are you nervous, m'lady? The Duchess has worked effortlessly for your first presentation to the Lords and Ladies. I am sure you will shine greater than any young lady there." I weakly smiled at her through the mirror. I knew she meant well, but I was truly not thinking about my presentation.

Papa had gotten slightly better. His fever had broken but he was still weak. He had gotten pale the last few days. I should be with him, not here. I knew I was doing right by being here. "Come," she cupped my hands in her own, "let's put your slippers on before you are called." She pulled me up without any resistance. My body is not my own. My clothes are not my own. I am not my own. It was strange to think that way, but it was how I felt.

A sharp knock on the door interrupts us. A young maid walks in quickly. "La madame est prete pour la mademoiselle." I dismissed her with a sharp nod. The young girl curtseyed and left. That moment defined the rest of life. It was so simple. A sharp nod-a command. A tiny detail that passed over my head until years later when I recounted this moment. After that, I hardly remember anything. The nerves had gotten to my head at that point. I started to remind myself of everything that Grandmother taught me in the previous days. Smile politely, stand up straight, never look down. Above all, never speak to someone without a chaperone.

I knew of the few nobles here in Pierre-mont. There weren't many but they held power. Every season, they travel to court and come back when it is over. I've seen a few in passing but never up close. Grandmother seldom spoke about them. Her only consolation was, "These petty nobles live in this raggedy town. They will barely notice if you have done something incorrect." Comforting.

I found myself standing in front of familiar double doors. It was the small gathering room where Grandmother painstakingly taught me to waltz. She expected me to dance at least once. God, help me! "Lords and Ladies of Pierre-mont," I heard the announcer proclaim from the other side of the doors, "May I present to you, for the first time, Lady Marie-Annette DuPont." Gagnuex. "Granddaughter of the Duchess DuPont." The doors swung open to reveal me in all my glory. Applause arose as I made my entrance, sweeping my unwavering gaze along the room. This was the first time that I met the eyes of nobility. And it was absolutely empowering.

Grandmother met with me in the middle and held my hand. "Many of us hold the tragedies of our children, sibling and cousins close to hearts. There are many who were fortunate enough to find their children. I was not one of them. My daughter passed before I could find her. But she knew I would come." She did. She always knew. "And because of her hope, she left my granddaughter for me to find. My granddaughter, Marie-Annette." Another round of applause for me and Grandmother arose, but saw the looks on their faces. Most of them had missing family members. Many who may or may not be dead. Or, have families out there that they know nothing about. Poor souls like me. Poor souls like my mother, who never got to go home.

"Let us take this soiree and celebrate the lives of those found," Grandmother proclaimed from one side of the room to the other, "and to those who hope for the lives of those still missing."

"Salud!" They are exclaimed and the music began. It was disorienting at best! Nothing was as confusing as watching these nobles slowly form their own circles. It was like they were shutting the blinds between me and them. I was the entertainment, and the theater was closed. I was no longer important. I should think that the announcer had my title all wrong. If anything he should've said, 'Lords and Ladies of Pierre-mont, I present you the commoner made lady! A Farmer's daughter?' Merde.