CHAPTER 1

The very first few Sun rays of dawn dance across Shouto’s skin through the various breaks in the trees above, the river’s rushing water and the sway of his horse riding lulls him into a tired state.

Its been a week since he has up and left, he wonders what state the kingdom is in.

No, its behind you now.

A rustle of leaves and bundles of brush in the wind help coax him back into the present, snapping his eyes open, he focuses on running his hands through Lotus' mane.

She huffs in appreciation.

A ghost of a smile graces his lips.

Shouto focuses back onto his surroundings, and spots a particularly shaded area surrounded in brush.

Judging by the chorus of chirps and sweet songs the birds around him have to sing this morning, he decides now is a good time as any to catch up  on the sleep he has been continuously missing the latest week.

A flash of the nightmares that plague his mind appear and he stills.

Burning,
Seething fire of which isn’t his own.
Pain
So so much pain blooming,
Spreading
Then nothing
Then  screaming
Yelling, shouting.
What are they saying?
Why can’t I feel the right side of my face?
I’m terrified to open my eyes.
I don’t want to see.

I Can’t see.

Shouto’s eyes flutter open when a whine and scuff of Lotus' hoof on the dry ground wake him out of his stupor.

He takes a moment and breathes.

Hopping off Lotus and onto the ground beneath him, he makes his way over to the bundle of brush that appears promising, horse in tow.

Settling down, he promptly unsheathes his thinly pointed estoc sword and begins to sharpen and polish it.

The last few days have been anything short of eventful.

He never realised what he was missing until he went out to witness it, thinking back onto the places he’s passed or visited and the people he’s seen bring his mind reeling from the sheer culture shock of it all.

Beautiful meadows full of multi colored flowers, animals he’s never really had the chance of seeing before.

A brief memory of the family of wild rabbits he happened to have the chance of observing two days ago, the cute babies so closely huddled together as the mother grazed on stray grass warmed his wreck of a heart.

It isn’t long until he’s tended to his blade as much as he can, sheathing it back into place before he gets too caught up in the motion of perfecting it.

Shouto stares at Lotus graze for a while before setting his bag down as a makeshift headrest, laying down as he closes his eyes and ponders.

How long will this peace last?

A creeping and almost thorn-like feeling constricts his entire being, breath stuttering.

Worries come flashing bright and loud in his mind, thoughts of being discovered. What would happen if they found him?
He loathes the anxiety which gnaws on his brain ever so harshly.

He drags himself into the memory of his first successful hunt in attempt to chase the feeling away.

The bright fish he speared and the feeling of triumph at being able to sustain himself out here felt good and warm in his jumbled thoughts.