making spirits bright

Start from the beginning

(The second date- after they both had separate existential crises- was far more better. The two of them in sweats, splitting a veritable feast of cheap Chinese food while they watched Friends . She heard that the kids call it Netflix and Chill , but Lily’s a classy lady; she doesn’t kiss and tell.)

Her reasoning for that was because he was a celebrity . He was James Potter- captain of Puddlemere United, son to the most well known philanthropists in all of bloody England. Why on earth would James Potter date someone like her- a starving uni student working on getting her journalism degree who lives in a shitty flat where the hot water runs out after fifteen minutes.

But, surprisingly, they don’t break up after the first month. Or the second. Or even the third.

And that’s because Lily realises that was dating James .

And James was different from James Potter and everything that comes with that. James is her tall, dorky boyfriend who gets worked up about equal rights. James is the one who sleeps until noon, gets up to make her a five star lunch, and then goes back to sleep. James is her friend who still likes to text her absolutely terrible pick up lines at odd times of the day, because he’s an idiot who’s in love with her, even after seven months together.

And Lily is an idiot who’s in love with James.

James is still a celebrity though, and that means Lily has to put up with stuff that comes with that.

Like people who are really invested in their lives.

As in really, really interested in their lives.

“Did you know that they got my class schedule before I did?” Lily asks, squinting at her phone. It’s still too early in the morning but when your boyfriend is football player, he has to up before the crack of dawn to start training during the season. She lets him know just how much she hates it by sulking all over the place and decidedly not showering with him.

James passes her a mug of coffee, dropping a kiss on her cheek. “There’s a fine line between stalking and being a paparazzo.”

“That line doesn’t exist my friend.”

“Good point.” He passes over a stack of pancakes to her along with the bottle of chocolate syrup, making a sound of disapproval in the back of his throat when she perks up and begins to pile it on. James makes it clear to her that she has the diet of a five year old and is going to die from diabetes by the time she’s thirty.

“If it really bothers you I can say something,” he continues, “Tell them to lay off. I know it’s kind of, uh, hard dating me because of the whole famous thing.”

She does entertain the idea for a moment, but ends up shaking her head. “Nah. I mean, if they actually show up on campus, then yeah, sure, but honestly? No one cares that much about James Potter’s obscure, non famous girlfriend.”

“Hey I resent that,” he says, wrapping his arms around her waist from behind, “I care a lot about James Potter’s obscure, non famous girlfriend. I care the most.”

“That’s because you’re the only one who has access to all this,” she deadpans, and he bursts out laughing.

(Someone does show up on campus a few weeks later, the same day James surprised her on lunch. Lily notices the creep taking pictures of them over the hedge and she decks him in the face. Coincidentally, that was the first time James said I love you.)

Things do die down after the first couple of months, and by the time they hit their six month anniversary, they’re old news, able to do things like go to the movies or out for dinner like normal human beings. It’s great.