"Girl?" Michael asked drily. "Wow, you just flip sexes."

"You cut me deep." Luke sighed dramatically. "I can't even look at boys without seeing your face."

I just observed the two idiots with slightly parted lips. How the hell could they banter back and forth this quickly? I shook my head and refrained from laughing at their stupid antics.

"Let's just go to class, okay?" I smirked. "We can look for your new girl on the way." I promised Luke as Michael huffed aloud.

All three of us began the dreaded walk to P.E, which we now had with Michael considering he swapped classes after Melanie tried to feel him up in the middle of dodge ball.

"I should've skipped first period." I muttered, as we approached the gymnasium. I'm pretty sure we were just running laps outside today.

Once everyone had changed into their appropriate sports uniform, we formed a large circle in the gym. Mr. Tryst went over some warm-up stretches before blowing the whistle.

"Alright, today we are working on our cardiac. That means running, people!" He clapped gleefully. Fucking Devil, I thought bitterly. "So, get your butts out onto the field and give me three warm up laps."

Everyone walked idly out the doors, whilst I stood there looking slightly horrified. Three laps were considered his warm ups? There was no way I'd survive this period.

Mr. Tryst saw me standing there and just sighed. "Carter, come on. You've got to at least participate if you want to pass this class."

"I'm actually alright with failing this class." I nodded, not the least bit concerned that it'd bring down my A+ average. I'd rather fail then run. Was that normal? Did I have a phobia of exercise?

"Repeat after me, Carter. Exercise is good. It is healthy. I want to be healthy." Mr. Tryst stood in front of me, mouthing the words slowly before giving me an expectant look.

"Exercise is hell. It might be healthy. I want pizza more than health." I said back in a monotone voice.

I felt a bit guilty when Mr. Tryst basically deflated in front of me. Poor man. He tried so hard to get me to like P.E. but unfortunately, I think I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than run around the gym.

I didn't miss the exasperated sigh that escaped his lips, however I did ignore it. Before he could open his mouth to lecture me on the benefits of running, I walked over to dirt track. Maybe if I walked the laps he'd give up on me.

"I can't believe he's still trying to get you to run." Sydney commented as she strolled towards me. "You would've thought he'd give up in year eight."

I tensed slightly, unsure of what she wanted. I thought I had made it pretty clear that I was ignoring her. I barely gave her a second look as I began to walk around the oval. Michael and Luke were a couple laps ahead of me. The weirdo's actually liked P.E.

I kicked at the ground absently as I began to walk. Mr. Tryst was watching from the sidelines, looking slightly more upbeat, so I figured he was done nagging me this period.

"Oh, are we still doing that?" Sydney raised her eyebrow and fell into step with me. "You're still ignoring me?"

I contemplated going against my morals and running away from Sydney but unfortunately she was the fit one between us. She could outrun me any day, so for now I was stuck here trying my hardest not to show my best friend and emotion.

"This is fucking bullshit." Sydney muttered before shooting me a glare. "I should be the one ignoring you or getting pissed off at you."

Although I desperately wanted to ask her what she meant by that, I continued to remain strong. Instead of caving, I held my head high and looked around for Luke or Michael.

"God, you're such a fucking bitch." Sydney laughed humorlessly. "You and Luke deserve each other."

I think her final statement is what made me stop walking. Just hearing her bring Luke into this was enough to make me livid. I didn't care what she said about me, but I wasn't about to let her bring down the one person who had been there for me since day one.

I turned to face her, my eyes glazing over as I stared at her with disinterest. "Yeah? Well, you and Ashton deserve each other."

I watched her face pale considerably in what seemed like a mixture of horror and shame. She reached out for me, her lips mouthing words that were silent to me.

"Atlantis... I..."

For the first time in ages, I felt in control of my life and my surroundings, which is why I leveled my gaze and just smiled at her. "Here's what's going to happen. I'm going to keep walking and you're not going to follow me. You're not going to contact me, or Luke. You're going to stay out of my life."

"I can explain." She rushed, her words slurring together as she looked at me pleadingly. I shook my head.

"I don't want to know." I explained, stepping away from her. "You made out with my dead boyfriend," I pointed out, before tilting my head, "who's not actually dead... but might as well be." I paused. "Same goes for you."

"Please." She croaked out. "Atlantis..."

I didn't stick around to hear what she had to say. Instead I twisted around and walked over to where Luke and Michael were standing.

I didn't need Sydney. I had a new best friend; Luke.

I didn't need Ashton. I had Michael.