You Said

Hayate means "moonlight."

Disclaimer: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

-

It was dark. The only source of light was the moonlight that filtered in through the window. The moonlight fell across the floor, slashing across the figure that was sitting on the floor.

Her long violet hair was limp and fell about her face like a curtain. Her legs were crossed and she held a photo frame in her hand. Long, delicate fingers traced the face of the man in the picture. Lovingly...carefully...longingly.

The man's eyes looked up at her. Dark...mysterious..sparkling with a smile that was meant for her. Only her.

Hot tears coursed down her cheeks and splashed onto the glass surface of the frame. She sobbed...quietly...silently. She wiped the moisture from the surface.

She was lonely. Lost. Broken. Unloved. The only man who had cared for her was gone. He would never come back. The dead never did. She wanted to avenge his death, but couldn't. It wouldn't do to attack the allies of Konoha, regardless of the fact that said allies had murdered her reason to be happy.

So here she sat, with only the memories and the photographs...to keep her going till her dying day. Suicide was not an option. Hayate would never forgive her if she did it.

And the fact that it was a night with moonlight...didn't help either.

"You said forever Hayate... you said forever..." she whispered brokenly, the tears falling fast from her haunted brown eyes. She hugged the frame to her chest and curled up tight, begging for sleep to take her hostage.

To ease the pain. For now.