CHAPTER LVIII - WE'LL BE ALRIGHT

Start from the beginning

My little sister was breathing.

She was alive.

Her eyes opened slowly, adjusting to the light. She looked at me, as I was the one holding her. She opened her mouth slightly.

-T-Tony?.- Her voice was hoarse and raspy, from all the coughing. I cupped her cheek and brushed the hair out of her face.

-Yes, yes, Star. I'm here, I'm here.- I said, a huge grin on my lips as I caressed her hair.

-Tony, let me go.- She said to me, her voice barely above a whisper.

-What?.- I asked, confused at her words. -What are you talking about?.- I asked.

-Tony. Let me go. I'm dead, just let me go.- She said and then I turned around to see if everyone was listening the same thing I was.

But no one was there. It was just me and Star. The place was empty.

-No, no. Star, don't. Don't do this.- I said as I held her tiny body closer to mine. She suddenly felt colder than snow, her face paler and her eyes empty.

-I have to, Tony. I love you infinity.- She said and I saw how her head fell to the side, her eyes open but hollow at the same time.

I started to panic. Fear and desperation slowly filling my body once again. I couldn't lose her, not now. Not ever. No.

-Star? Star! Star, please come back! Star! STAR!.- I said, my eyes full of tears.

In the distance, I heard a voice calling me again. Her voice.

-Tony? Tony. Tony?.- I felt my whole body shaking. This was not real. -Tony? Tony?.- Her voice again. I kept on shaking. Maybe I'm dying as well. -Tony! Wake up, please!.

Star?"

-T, wake up! Tony?.- I sat on the bed abruptly, my whole body covered in sweat, my breathing fast and uneven. My whole body was shaking. I turned to my left.

Star was just inches away from me. Her face had concern written all over it. I took a deep breath.

She was okay. She was here with me. She was alive.

I felt her hand in my arm and suddenly relaxed at the warmness of her skin. She was real.

Without a second thought, I pulled her closer to me. I hugged her as tightly as my arms let me. Without a second passing, she wrapped her arms around my neck.

-I'm here, Tone. I'm here, with you. I'm okay. Just breathe.- Star said as she caressed my hair with one hand.

Sometimes she acted like the big sister. Well, half of the time. Alright, probably a little more than just half.

Fine. 95% of the time. Happy?

I hugged her closer. I've been having these dreams since what happened a couple of months ago. Star just came back from visiting uncle Toine in Paris, because he got sick.

I went with her for a week but I had to come back to, well, work. Sorta. This is the first time she is in the house when I have that nightmare. It's always the same one.

The events of that day repeat in my mind like a cassette. What I said to Michael, what he did, Pepper calling 911, everything is the exact same as what happened. Only that in real life, Star woke up completely and the ambulance arrived to take her to the hospital. And in the dream, she dies. She actually dies. And I have no idea why my mind would play such mean and twisted games with me.