The Woods

Leaves crackled under my feet. The skeletons of once lively cedar hung in sorrow above me. The damp scent of earth flooded my nose.
   What am I doing? Why am I here?
   My legs continued. What was at the end? My curiosity bested me.
   How did I get here?
   My urge to keep moving was greater than the need for answers.
   A feeling washed over me. My eyes widened and I stopped walking, the last crunch of the leaves halting under my feet. I looked around.
   "Is someone there?" I shouted. The shout echoed through the trees, bouncing back and forth until dissipation.
   No response.
   Cold fingers danced up my spine. My hair stood up on end.
   "Who's there!?" I shouted again.
   A sharp gust of icy wind came from my right, blowing my long, brown hair into my face and causing the cedars to sway and rub together.
   My heart was in my throat and my hands felt cold as ice. My hands trembled in front of my widened eyes. My knees crumbled and I fell to the ground. I whipped my head in every direction. What was coming? What was here? Most importantly, who am I?
   I struggled up to my feet. I need to leave. I need to get out of this place, wherever this place is. I began to run.
   The path began to narrow. The wood skeletons closed in around me. The leaves grew louder and louder. My ears felt as if blood was pouring from them. My eyes leaked and smeared my face. The low branches scratched and cut my skin, however I didn't notice.
   Wailing began from deep in the forest. My lungs burned but I ran still. The wailing grew until I heard it all around me. Running beside me. Gathering my thoughts, my feelings. Feeding upon me.
   Then I woke up.