"Well, only temporarily," She outwardly cringed at her word choice as she repositioned Lina in her arms. "I- I mean, I'm watching over her for the next hour or so while her mom is in a meeting. She's not actually my baby." Alisa fumbled through her words, seemingly starstruck.

I took Alisa's botching of words as an opportunity to approach. She looked to me thankfully, as if I had saved the day.

"Speaking of, this, uh, this is her mother right here actually. Mr. Kiszka, this is Celine Lyons." Alisa introduced us, though no introduction was necessary.

"Ah, Ms. Lyons, we meet again."

Well, fuck. 

I was honestly surprised he had remembered me.

"You two know each other?" Alisa hissed, widening her eyes at me.

I chose to ignore her, not wanting to get into it at this moment in time, but focused my attention instead on Josh, pasting an award winning smile on my face in an attempt to seem unfazed. "Josh, uh, hi, how are you?"

"I'm doing well, thank you." He replied, returning my smile. "I take it this is the little one that Michael had mentioned the other day."

"The very one, yes. This is my daughter, Lina." I said introducing the unsuspecting father to his baby girl for the first time.

"Well, she's absolutely beautiful, you're very lucky. Hopefully, one day I'll be fortunate enough to have one of my own."

It gutted me that he had no idea that he was quite literally the other half in her creation, but I couldn't explain this all to him right now. Not here, not now. 

I wanted nothing more than for my transition back to the office to be seamless but of course the universe had other plans by bringing Josh and I here, together, in the first place.

"She's my everything," was all I could manage as a response.

Alisa cleared her throat, causing me to tear my gaze from Josh to her. "Uh, Celine, Mr. Johnston is expecting the two of you. Will you escort Mr. Kiszka to conference room B?"

I looked at my watch. Shit, I was late. "Yeah, sure. You can follow me." I said turning on my heel, making my way in the direction of the meeting room.

Of course we'd be a part of the same meeting. The universe has a great sense of humor.

I heard Josh jog to catch up from behind me. "So, I take it you work for the label, what is your role here?" He inquired, matching my stride.

"Oh, I'm a marketing coordinator. This is the label you and your band belongs to?" I spoke evenly, trying not to let the thought of Josh and I potentially working together rile me more than I already had been.

"Yes. We just wrapped up our tour at the show you and your friends attended the other night and we're beginning the work for our next album now." He answered gently, potentially sensing my slight unease. "Maybe you'll be a part of the process since we're attending the same meeting." He remarked, bumping me playfully with his elbow.

My nightmares were being actualized as we spoke.

"I'm not exactly sure what they have in store for me, the topic of this meeting has remained confidential, so I guess we'll see." I said, forcing a smile in an attempt to be polite, all the while my insides were churning with anxiety and uncertainty.

We rounded the final corner of the corridor and approached the door to conference room B. I pushed open the large door and gestured for him to enter first. 

"Ladies first." He declined, as I nodded curtly and entered through the doorway.

We were the last two to arrive at the conference room and were met with an array of heads turning in our direction upon our arrival.