Chapter 23

Henley House
London, England

Saturday next had come sooner rather than later

Saturday next had come sooner rather than later. The entire ton was abuzz with anticipations of a splendid evening hosted by one of the ton's elite and most eligible of bachelors, that any marriage minded young lady would steal for a chance to have a Duke's attentions set upon them for a mere night, with the hope of flirtatious lust turning the evening into much more.

It was still quite early, though. Lady Edna advised Georgia over breakfast that she would see to Luella and her studies on this day leaving Georgia free to make calls and finish readying for tonight's ball, but Georgia had not really felt up to going, and wasn't really sure if it would be wise for her to attend. She was more tired than ever in the last coming weeks and not only that, the weather was becoming more noticeably cooler by the passing days.

Lady Edna also had some promising news to share with Georgia. She revealed over biscuits and tea that same morning that all the renovations for the small cottage had been finished and were ready for her and Luella's arrival. Her heart nearly dropped out of her chest. That was what she had decided was best for her and her daughter.

A quiet life, away in the country, away from civilization. Her own farm, and animals, a handful of maids, and house servants was all they would need. She would bring her daughter up in a modest country home, surrounded by love, their God, and all that was ever good.

And, in that very same instance she wanted Luella to have some sense of familiarity with the gentle bred ladies of the ton and have some idea of what married life could be like for a titled young lady. She wanted her to know more than just a humble, little cottage abode. She wanted for Luella what she wanted for herself and probably would never have, or be able to give her, even if it were the very desires of her heart, which was still shattered immensely.

Yet, she still held on for hope of a better life for her daughter's sake. It was foolish of her to still believe in this notion of true love, especially after everything that had happened that summer, so without even thinking twice on the matter Georgia expressed to Lady Edna that she would be pleased that all the necessary arrangements should be made in haste for her and her daughter's arrival in Sheffield.

There was only a matter of time before she would be leaving her old life behind her and settling for the new. Beginning a new era of peace and serenity. She had already busied her mind with all the ways she wished Luella to be instructed in her education. After a while, she was going quite mad with rigorous ideas of educated materials. She wished her daughter to be trained in a manner of things, not just what was intended for gentle bred ladies as she was once previously taught.

The thoughts came and went to disguise her true feelings of heartache over the Duke of Richmond. Her whole entire being craved him. She though that in perhaps time the unreturned feelings would dissipate into nothing but mere painful memories, yet they did no such thing. She remembered painfully, wanting everything that had already transpired.