27. Low on Miracles🧁

Start from the beginning

They could afford something simple like McDonald's, but with the bakery closed, it wouldn't be long before money got short. They'd have to think of something else. They couldn't stay on the run and hide in a hotel forever.

Once at the restaurant, Casey parked and drove up to the drive-thru. Normally, he didn't like eating in his car, but he didn't feel like going inside or bringing their food back to the hotel. Casey also wanted to give Detective Bailey an update on the strange man hanging around, even if he posed no threat to them. It was better to be safe than sorry.

As Casey munched on his Egg McMuffin, he viewed the new messages from the detective, who asked for a description of the man. Casey did his best to depict him well, hoping it would be enough to at least chase the guy away from their hotel. If he still hung around there.

"Hey, maybe after breakfast, we could stop at the local park," Lani suggested. "We've been cooped up in that freaking hotel room, it feels nice to get out. Especially since we don't have to keep looking over our shoulders out here."

"I don't know." Casey considered her idea. "I'm not too sure we're safe out here. You never know what those gang members are capable of."

"I wanna go to the park!" Wyatt insisted through a mouthful of hashbrown.

Casey relented. "Alright, fine. But not for long, okay? It's still a bit chilly out and we only brought your one coat."

"Yay!"

Promises of rain hung heavy in the clouds soaring above them. Casey ensured Wyatt was bundled up, tugging his hood over his head to keep the bitter wind away from his ears. Wyatt made his way over to the playground and climbed up to one of the slides. Casey followed close behind him, with Lani close at his heel.

"Looks like he's having fun," Lani remarked.

Casey smiled. "Yeah, I'm glad."

"I wish it could always be like this." Lani sighed. "It's nice out here. Much different from New Syracuse."

"Maybe we should move out here," Casey suggested.

"Could we afford it?" Lani asked. "What about the bakery?"

"I don't know. We'd have to talk it over more with Dad."

Casey wished things could be simpler. Why did the gang need to target their family? Casey would've been willing to do almost anything to get them off their back. The only way they'd be free from them would be abandoning their home and relocating someplace far away from New Syracuse.

While Casey watched Wyatt go down a spiraling slide for the fifth time, a lanky man donned in a dark hoodie and denim jeans came down the sidewalk. Casey kept an eye on the man, ensuring he came nowhere near them. Paranoia strangled him as he sunk his nails deep into his wrists, forming little cresenats in his skin.

The man made eye contact with him as he passed their bench. He offered a small smile, not saying a word as he continued down the pavement. Casey frowned, watching the guy until he vanished from the community park.

"Hey, are you alright?" Lani asked, nudging his shoulder.

"Maybe we should leave," Casey murmured. "Yeah, come on. Let's get back to the hotel."

As Casey made his way over to the playground, a black SUV pulled up into the parking lot, right beside his car. Casey gulped. He beckoned Wyatt to his side, gazing over at the lot where the SUV waited for them.

Could they outrun them? Casey would need to carry Wyatt, which would slow them down, but at the very least, maybe Lani could escape.

"Alright, buddy. We gotta get back to the hotel now," Casey told him, heading back to the bench where Lani sat. "I think those bad people might've followed us. But I don't want you to be scared, okay? I won't let anything happen to you."