Chapter 3 - A New Star in Town

The moment I walked more into the town with Dad, a town that was surrounded by trees and looked more like a girls' camp, the people who actually lived in the town came up to me and ogled me like I was a celebrity, more so than people ogled me before.

"So, Deanne, I was asked if I wanted to stay in a hotel while filming the movie," Dad said as we walked down the dirt road of this little town, and people walking by watched me pass, and I heard them whisper. That I was used to. "What do you think? Deanne?"

"Huh?" I said, jumping back to the conversation. "Sorry, my mind was elsewhere. What'd you say?"

He laughed. "Now you know how Elvis feels."

"No kidding. I've never received this much attention before."

"People here know the movie's being filmed in their town. They probably think you're an actress." He bumped my arm with his shoulder—Dad was about as tall as Elvis. "Well, you are as of today. You're the new star in town. Once we get to the entrance, you're going to be behind the camera."

"Way behind it. The director wants me in the distance, even when sitting. My height can't be erased, you know."

"He knows that, too."

"Then why add me as an extra? I'll stand out wherever I go. It's been that way since I was ten."

"I think the more you're here, the more people will be used to seeing you."

"People are never used to seeing me. You and Mom are still in shock about how tall I got."

He put his arm around my waist, and I felt his brown hair tickle my chin. "No matter how tall you are, you're still our little girl."

I put an arm around his shoulders, hugging him back. "Thanks. Love you, Dad."

"Love you, too, sweetheart. Now, about the hotel situation—they asked if I wanted to stay in one while filming. I mentioned that my daughter was on the set as well, and if she wanted to stay in a hotel also. It's in the next town over, maybe ten miles. It saves driving to and from LA every day. Plus, the hotel stay would be paid by the company making the movie."

"But what about Mom? She would be left alone."

"She knew it may happen. She was thinking that she would stay with us as well and have this be something like a family vacation."

What a wild and unbelievable family vacation. So far, Dad and I had met Elvis. If Mom joined in, she would end up meeting him, too. My whole immediate family would eventually personally know Elvis Presley!

We came to the sign that said Welcome to Idyllwild, and there were a couple of cameras on stands, and men stood around them, working on them. We stopped near those men, none of which I had met yet. "I think it's a great idea to have Mom come be here with us. She would be thrilled. Maybe she could make meals for the crew and cast during lunch breaks."

He nodded, thinking, and I noticed the camera crew look at us, and up at me. I heard, "Do you see how tall that girl is?"

"I think that's a great idea," Dad said. "Okay. I'll let them know of our plans. We both will need to go home and pack, and you need to pack like you would be packing for a semester in college since we'll be doing this for a couple months. What a way to start your adult life."

I laughed. "Tell me about it. I still have to convince myself that I met Elvis Presley about twenty minutes ago. Where is he, anyway?"

"I was told that he would be heading out of town about a mile and ride on the back of a truck as the beginning sequence to the movie, and he would be singing. That's why we're here. He's going to be coming in through here as his character enters the town, being fresh out of the army."