8 | possessions

london

It was the end of August of my senior year, and it felt like people noticed and acknowledged me. The fake people I had cut off sophomore year were trying to be friends with me. This only made me avoid them more. I felt like they were soon this because they were only trying to benefit themselves. I don't even know for what exactly.

Orientation was hell, too; their moms clouded around me, introducing me to their daughters I already knew (I think they had seen me on the 'Outstanding Students' list in all my three years of high school so far). They would say to their daughter, "Go on, make a new friend." I awkwardly walked away to find my classes beforehand.

Now it was Friday as I was dressed in all black: skinny jeans, Doc Martens, and a cropped sweater. It was 3rd block, and I was packing up to leave. As a senior who had failed no classes, I had one period off on both days. I FaceTimed Jackson and told him I was leaving school. He was still in class, sitting in the back. He was telling me how a child reacted when they lied to their parents and how the body would function. I was really interested, and Jackson asked who was behind me. My phone was being supported by a shelf in my locker, so he could see me and everything behind me. He waved for some reason.

"There's someone behind you." He told me as I turned.

There stood a boy from my last class, and his table sat near mine at lunch. I think his name was Travis. He was new, but he was already fitting in well with the boys in my grade.

"Hi." He said.

"Is there something you need?" I could see some of his friends laughing from across the hall. I guess I seemed offended. I just didn't really know what to say.

Travis chuckled. "I was wondering-"

"London!"

That was Cadence, calling me from a little ways down the hall. Today she was coming over my house to chill and spend the night. When Cadence finally arrived, she dapped Travis. I guess they were friends. Cadence was better at socializing than I was. I'm just awkward. I wondered if Jackson was listening.

"Y'all are friends?" Cadence asked.

I stayed silent while Travis smiled shrugged his shoulders.

"Time to go." I finally spoke, closed my locker, and pulled Cadence with me. As we walked away from them, Travis called Cadence's name. I heard her whisper What? and then Oh ok.

"I gotchu." She yelled and turned back around.

I decided to let Jackson listen (if he could hear) so we could have something to talk about later.

"So why were you talking to Travis?"

"I wasn't." I pulled out some money for the vending machine. "He came to me."

Cadence laughed and took the money, inserting it and entering the code for a bag of Doritos. "I think he likes you." Cadence took the bag from the bottom of the machine. "He talks about you. Like two weeks ago in science, he was talking about you vaguely and I knew it was you. 'She wears all black but sits in the front.'"

"That's me." I smiled and held up the peace sign close to my face. We went out the door to walk to my car.

"Yeah, and so I told him I would be the one to hook y'all up."

I turned my neck, eyeing her. "Why? And isn't there a rumor that he sells drugs?"

"He does. It's no rumor." She ate her chips nonchalantly. "And that means he go money." She exaggerated the 'ey' in money.

"He's cute, but I don't like him like that."

Cadence shook her head. "You don't have to. He already claimed you as bae."

I rolled my eyes back into my head and unlocked the car. Cadence was on her phone, obviously texting someone. "Is that Ian you're texting?"

"Mhm. I'll tell him y'all are on a first name basis now."

I groaned and shook my head. Cadence laughed and before I asked, she showed me her phone. I read the text aloud.

"Tell babygirl I said hi."

"WHAT?!" Jackson yelled, and there was no denying Cadence heard him.

"Hi Jackson. Are you mad?" Cadence said as she texted Travis back. I couldn't keep him a secret from her, and I confessed last summer.

"No." Jackson cleared his throat. "Just surprised.

I told Jackson I would call him later. Cadence said Jackson was mad because Travis called me babygirl. I started driving home while Cadence texted things I didn't say about Ian to him.

@trvisxx as Travis Scott, picture provided