Road Ahead (M'19)

M'19 = Montreal 2019

'Do I look like Medusa,' she wondered when Kairav offered to walk her home. His hands, ever so damp and sweaty, were stuffed in his pockets; hope and nervousness fought in his eyes. It was as if his confidence ran for the hills when the performers started packing and the shops got ready to close.

"So chivalry isn't dead," she jested as she led the way. When lustful eyes stalked her walk, she felt insects run up her spine. Kairav drafted his suit jacket on her shoulders and slid to her right.

"I know you don't need a bodyguard." He saw her eyes dart between him and the drunks outside the bar. "Nor do you need shielding."

"Then why'd you offer?" She asked.

"The same reason you accepted."

'I don't want to let you go so quick,' the words lingered between them. Unsaid but not unheard.

Hmm, Hmm Ho Ho... her heart went as they matched steps en route to her home.

There were two Kashafs that night: one who walked at Kairav's side with a smile and a hint of colour on her cheeks, and the other danced beside herself in joy. Many tried to contain her energy. Not him, though. Something about Kairav's presence inspirited her yet kept her grounded.

She marvelled at his simplicity as he kicked the pebbles on their path. The sound of sirens or bustling streetcars did little to take away from their moment.

Kashaf's hand leapt to catch Kairav's before he passed their destination. "This is my place," she said.

"Oh," he gave the road forward a yearning look before returning his attention to her. "Uh-woh-main," he swung their hands awkwardly, trying to find the right words.

"Do you want to come inside?" Kashaf blurted.

Silence radiated between them, both trying to comprehend the words that bolted out of her mouth.

"Main uss type ka ladka nahi hoon," Kairav averted her eyes and disentangled their hands.

"What?" It dawned on her, and heat rushed to her cheeks. "Oh my God," she gasped and covered her mouth. "Mera woh matlab nahi tha, I just meant maybe we could watch a movie or something."

How could she shoot herself in the foot like this?

"Oh?" He scratched the back of his head.

"Yeah." She injected, "it's okay if you don't want to. I completely understand." 

Kashaf prided herself on many things, but cleanliness was not one. Kairav was at a loss for where to sit; her couches were ridden with heaps of clothing and bras. It looked like a fashion show exploded here.

"I'm sorry, I usually don't have people over." She carried the piles of clothes and dumped them into her closet.

Not smooth at all, Kairav smiled, but she's cute.

She blushed under his tender watch as she stood with her back to the wardrobe door, trying to keep the clothes from bursting out. "You can pick the movie." 

She crashed on the couch next to his.

"Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse, Barbie: Big City Big Dreams, Barbie: Princess Adventure," Kairav ran through her Netflix My List. "Are you noticing a trend here because I am? Either you have a kid you haven't mentioned," he scanned the room for any toys or kidswear, "or you just have awful taste."

She was flushed. "I don't have a kid or bad taste. My friend Mansi loved the Barbie movies from our time so we wanted to see if the new ones are any good. Surprise, surprise, none compare to the 12 Dancing Princesses."

"See, I was more of a Nutcracker fan myself."

She jumped from her spot. "You watched Barbie movies?"

"With my sisters, yeah. Akshu and Aaru loved Barbe, especially the princess versions."

That's how the rest of their night went; Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse played in the background while Kairav shared some childhood stories. She listened to him intently, head on the couch's arm, peeping in with some memories of her own. It gave her time to notice the small things like how his nose crinkled and pushed his glasses up to his creases when he recounted stories of his sister, Aarohi, painting him with makeup. Her house was vibrant with their laughs. 

Would love some feedback on this chapter in the comments and votes below!