You're Coming Back

Start from the beginning

Suitcase nodded, sitting down and placing the strand of Candle's hair in front of her, holding out her right wrist, holding her left hand out for Balloon to hold. Meanwhile Fan dug in his backpack, taking out a small switchblade and a tiny vial (apparently from Test Tube's chemistry kit; he'd been carrying it around ever since she had gotten stabbed and assumingly abducted by Merripen). He approached the nervous-looking Suitcase, flicking open the blade and hovering it over her hand.

"Are you ready?" Fan asked, looking up at the small girl in front of her. "I won't do it until you are."

"Yeah. I'm ready."

Fan took Suitcase's hand, steadying it as he made a quick, clean cut across her palm. Blood seeped up from the wound, the echoing sting making the young girl wince. She felt Balloon rub his fingers over her knuckles softly, silently taking deep breaths.

It's for her mother.

For her mother.

"Alright, just gonna..." Fan mumbled, tilting Suitcase's hand so the blood could drip into the little vial. "There! That should be it!"

Suitcase stared at the vial in the teenage boy's hands, tears pricking at her eyes before she began to cry, her shoulders shaking and shuddering as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Suitcase?! Suitcase, are you okay?" Fan asked worriedly, placing a hand on the girl's shoulders.

"Is something wrong?" Balloon piped up, scooting closer to her friend.

"No, no, nothing's wrong, it's just..." Suitcase sniffled, looking up at her friends. "...I'm going to see my mom soon."

~~~~~~~

Suitcase's thumb ran over the journal in her hands, staring at the cover for what seemed like hours before she slipped it into her bag, slinging it over her shoulder. She took a deep, shaky breath, staring into the mirror, running a trembling hand through her hair.

She knew she shouldn't be nervous. This was her mother, for Christ's sake! She'd be happy to finally see her after so long...

So why was her anxiety going through the roof, like this?

Suitcase shook her head to clear it, taking more deep breaths as she rubbed at her temples, squeezing her eyes shut. Relax, Suitcase. Just relax, she thought. It's going to be okay. It has to be.

"Suits?"

Suitcase stiffened, whipping around to stare at Knife, who was staring at her from her doorway. "Knife! I didn't—how long have you been there?"

"Long enough to know that you're getting ready to go somewhere," he replied, leaning against the doorframe.

Fuck.

"K-Knife, listen, it's not what it looks like, I just—"

"Woah, woah, easy there, kiddo," Knife chuckled, waving his hands in the air. "Who said that you couldn't go?"

Suitcase blinked. "Huh?"

Knife smirked. "Hey, Baseball and Nickel are helping Candle and Silver tonight, remember? So technically, I'm in charge. And as long as you're not going anywhere dangerous...are you?"

Suitcase shook her head. "I'm not going anywhere dangerous."

Knife smiled, ruffling her hair. "Then why don't you head out, huh? If you're still gone when Baseball and Nickel come back, I'll cover for ya, kiddo."

A smile spread across Suitcase's face as she quickly wrapped her arms around her brother, hugging him tightly. "Thanks, Knife! I owe you one!"

Knife chuckled softly. "Don't worry about it, Suits. Just shoot me a message if you need anything."