chapter thirteen.

Start from the beginning

     "Oh, you mean the woman who came in, slammed the door and stomped up the stairs?" Ross commented casually. "Hardly noticed."

     Mila smacked his arm. "Ease up on the sarcasm, wise ass."

     "You know," George sighed. "A dog is not a replacement for a human being."

     "You guys better wake her. If Bailey catches her sleeping, she's dead." Alex came around and corner and motioned to Izzie who was sleeping on the floor, her back against the lockers with her lab coat draped over her like a blanket. 

     "Izzie," Cristina called to her but when that was a dead end, the girl ended up kicking her. "Izzie."

     "What?" The blonde scoffed in pain. 

     "Hell hath no fury like a girl whose non-boyfriend screws a nurse."

     "Bitch,"

     Cristina smiled down at her friend. "I like you better pissed off. You're almost like anormal person now."

     Then Bailey entered, the conversation amongst the interns ending. "Alright, listen up-" But abruptly stopped when she couldn't find Jamie. "-Meredith where the hell is your sister?"

     "Asleep," The youngest answered. "She wasn't feeling too well this morning Dr. Bailey. I don't know if she'll come into work later."

     "Okay..." Bailey found it odd. Never once has Jamie Grey called off sick from work. "Then her interns, you're with me for the day. Got it?" They all muttered yes and then they were off to the patient's room. 

     "Okay, what do we got?"

     "Uh, Karl Murphy, 52. Multiple skin melanomas." George started presenting, chart in his hand. "Underwent reconstructive surgery to his nose, his right ear as well as a skin graft of the left index finger."

     "How's the capillary refill?"

     "it's slow. About four seconds."

     Bailey hummed, meaning that she understood. "What do you recommend to getting that blood moving again, Dr. O'Malley?"

     "At this stage, our best option is probably a biotherapeutic agent."

     The patient looked confused. "Wh-what is that?"

     "We put leeches on your face." George answered straightly which made some interns snicker lowly, trying to cover their laughs with a cough. 

     "Leeches? Huh, you don't say?"

     "They secrete blood thinners that help break up pooled blood so it can be evacuated." Mila answered and Bailey nodded in approval. "It's kind of like a big drain... of blood, look, if this makes you uncomfortable-"

     "No, no, no. I've been a hiker for 40 years." The patient interrupted with a shake of his head. "Almost 40 years, yeah and mother nature hasn't come up with anything, yet I haven't found a reason to love."

     "You a big outdoorsman?" Bailey smiled at him. 

     "How do you think I got all these melanomas in the first place?"

៚ ......... ˁᱸᲲᱸˀ ............ ༄

     Jamie woke up to an empty bed and surprisingly an empty house. She stayed in bed for a while, watching the now calmer rain pour drip down her windows, creating silhouettes on the walls of her bedroom. 

     When she finally did get up, she put a light sweater on, which she believe might have been her mom's at one point before going to the bathroom and splashing some water on her face. When she started drying her face, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and cringed. The bags under her eyes looked like they had been there for days and looked like they weren't going away any time soon. Her lips were pale and chapped. Her cheeks were also pale and sort of caved in.