two

The next day at West Valley High School, all the students were gathered in the cafeteria to listen to an announcement from Counselor Blatt, who stood in the center of the room with a microphone in hand

Odette sat at her usual table with, Miguel, Eli and Demetri. She was dressed in a white and green striped sweater, ripped jeans and brown lace-up boots.

As Counselor Blatt discussed cyberbullying, Odette poked her food in annoyance, preferring to be with her friends than listening to the guidance counselor.

"Cyberbullying is no laughing matter." Counselor Blatt stated firmly addressing the students. "Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face. I'm not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity."

Most of the students in the cafeteria instantly turned their heads in Eli's direction, whispering and laughing. Eli felt embarrassed and covered his mouth with his hand.

Odette reached out and held Eli's hand. "Don't mind them. They're just a bunch of losers. I think it's great."

"But today, our goal here is to make this school a safe place for all students." Counselor Blatt added.

Miguel shook his head and then turned to his new friends. "You know, if you're sick of getting bullied, my karate dojo's looking for recruits."

Demetri scoffed. "Yeah, right. You hear that, Eli? A little karate training and you're gonna kick some major ass."

"I'm serious, Demetri. My sensei's the real deal. I'm sure I could get you three discounts."

"As enticing as that sounds, I think we'd rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible Control than getting hit in the face."

"I don't know." Odette hesitated, nervously twirling her fork in her salad.

Karate was challenging for Odette, but the effort paid off. She learned valuable lessons that would help her in the long run. It taught her self-defense, dependability, focus, leadership skills, goal setting and physical fitness. Karate also taught her the importance of being dependable.

Just a few months after her parents passed away, Daniel started teaching Odette karate. Initially hesitant, Odette eventually warmed up to the idea. She appreciated Daniel's peaceful and balanced approach to the martial art, focusing on self-defense, protecting others, and finding inner peace.

"Come on, Odette. Learning Karate is awesome." Miguel insisted eagerly.

"One last thing...." Counselor Blatt spoke up once more. "While we're all looking forward to the Halloween dance, let's make sure our costumes are culturally sensitive. For example, instead of 'sexy nurse' maybe try 'gender-neutral hospital employee'."

The cafeteria erupted in laughter, not taking the announcement seriously. Odette simply rolled her eyes and shook her head as she started eating her salad.