26

TW: abuse

"Is that for Kierra?"

Napalingon ako sa Daddy ni Kierra habang ginagawa ko ang Christmas drink na ireregalo ko sa kaniya. I just went out for a bit to buy some ingredients and took advantage of the fact that Kierra was inside her room the whole time, resting after eating breakfast. 

"Yes, Tito. Would you like some?" I asked, ready to make another one.

"No, it's okay. Mahilig ka pala sa ganiyan?" Sumandal siya sa may lamesa habang pinapanood ako, nakangiti nang tipid. "What's your plan for the future?"

"Oh, I plan to become a lawyer. Part-time lang po ang pagiging barista and a coffee shop owner," pagpapaliwanag ako. "I am trying my best to save money for my personal expenses." 

"Wow, that's good, ah. Good luck with that..." Tinapik niya ang balikat ko at bumalik sa pwesto niya. "You know, Shan... I also asked him about these things..."

I suddenly stopped what I was doing and stiffened. I knew who he was talking about. He didn't need to mention it. 

"He didn't say anything about his future plans for himself. Instead, he just said he was planning to marry my daughter... I'm not a strict father, but after what happened, I wished that I was..." He sighed heavily. 

"It's not your fault, Tito..." He looked like he was blaming himself. 

"Those promises turned into ashes that Kierra was slowly trying to pick up. I love her a lot... and that's why, as her dad, I'm asking you to please... Please take care of her." His voice almost broke. He was trying his best not to tear up. "I failed to do that. I was not powerful enough to turn things around so up until now, she's still living in fear." 

"He is going to jail."  I held the edge of the countertop tightly, putting my weight on it. "I know he will... He deserves it." 

"When you become a lawyer, please do not be blinded by power." He gave me a small smile. "People with no power need you to be beside them." 

I never planned to be like my father or the Villaflors. I wanted to oppose them... and that was the only thing keeping me going. I wanted to give up on law school a lot of times. I just started it for fun, but I realized my purpose little by little. 

Pagkatapos kong ibigay kay Kierra ang regalo ko, nagpalit na rin ako noong matchy sweater para sa picture-taking. "Suotin mo 'yong Santa hat," bulong sa akin ni Kierra. 

"Basta suotin mo 'yong reindeer headband, susuotin ko 'to," bulong ko pabalik. 

"Weh? Promise mo 'yan, ha! Bawal nang bawiin!"

Sumama ako sa family picture nila kahit hindi naman ako miyembro ng pamilya. It was still heartwarming to be with them, different from what I felt during the family picture with my dad.