05

"Stay here, anak. We will be back tomorrow, okay?" 

My mom kissed my forehead and lightly touched my cheek, grazing her thumb on the side while looking at me with so much adoration. I think it was already midnight, so my mind was still half-asleep. I just nodded as I watched the door close. 

The next morning, I was left alone in the house, but my mom left food for me and some sticky notes. She said she went to Manila with my stepdad to process my enrollment in Lopez High, and they will be back also today, so I didn't have to worry. 

I made sure the doors were locked before I went to the living room to watch TV while eating. It was my vacation, so I couldn't do anything but watch and play on my phone. Since my mom left food for me, I didn't have any problems the whole day. 

I kept on looking outside to check if they were back already until I realized that it was raining so hard. Binuksan ko ulit ang kurtina at sumilip sa labas pero wala na akong makita sa sobrang lakas ng ulan. Umupo na lang ulit ako sa sofa at tinawagan si Mommy. 

[Yes, anak? We're already on our way home. Are you alright there?] I felt comfort when I heard her voice. 

"Yes, Mommy... It's raining hard outside," I told her. 

[I know. Lock the doors and don't go out. Also, charge your phone and the power banks in case mawalan ng electricity. We're almost there. Are you scared, baby?] 

"No..." Umiling ako kahit hindi naman niya makikita. "Take care, Mommy... and also Tito. I love you." 

[I love you, anak. Bye bye! I'll see you later!] 

But she did not come home. They didn't. 

I waited and waited until I fell asleep on the sofa, holding my phone. Nagising na lang ako nang mag-ring 'yon kasabay ng sunod-sunod na katok sa pinto ng bahay. Napatayo kaagad ako at kinusot ang mga mata ko bago ako sumilip sa bintana. I was happy because I thought it was my mom but I saw my neighbors outside. 

When I opened the door and faced them, they looked like they were relieved. "Nandito 'yong bata! Naku, mabuti na lang at hindi nasama sa aksidente!" 

I blinked twice, not understanding what they said. Some hugged me and tried to comfort me pero wala akong maintindihan. Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit. Some barangay staff in uniform came and brought me to their hall. I was so confused. 

"Do you have other relatives? May contact ka ba nila?" The woman asked softly. 

"My mom and my stepdad," I told them. She pursed her lips and looked down, holding my hand tightly. I didn't know why she looked so devastated. 

"Your mom and your stepdad got into an accident on their way home..." It almost sounded like a whisper.