𝟮 | memory gap

Everything Byeol said was leading to Mark. Donghyuck didn't know what to think, who to believe.

All night he couldn't sleep. He dug his memories that had Mark, remembering every single thing. How they met, they became friends. Everything. He tried to justify his friend whom he had feelings for.

Even when he knew for what Mark was blamed, he was blinded by how humble his friend was in his memories. He couldn't even hurt a fly! Once Mark cried because he killed a spider with a slipper. At that time, Donghyuck had to calm him down and call him a hero. Donghyuck feared spiders more than anything else...

Mark was also religious. He was so devoted to God that he went to church every Sunday, praying before eating, barely lying and never judging anyone. He respected girls and never hurt them. Donghyuck knew that Mark wasn't Don Juan type of a guy. The furthest he went was to kiss some of the girls, nothing more.

That's why...

Mark was too good to be a killer.

The medium boy couldn't be hundred percent sure that Byeol told the truth. All because the boy knew Mark too well. But Donghyuck also knew how great of an actor a killer could be. He had seen hundreds of faces of those who were told to be very friendly and warm. But now when his crush was on the same line, it was messing with Donghyuck's head.

As it was hard to pick one side, Donghyuck decided to stay neutral. He considered what Byeol said and kept his eyes on Mark. But at the same time, he tried not to judge his friend and controlled his mind before it could make him believe that even Mark's routine was suspicious.

Because... Mark was behaving as usual. Getting up early whenever it was Sunday. Showering, praying before breakfast. It was his normal routine. But very calm for a person who could be a potential murderer...

"Are you ready for the new semester?" Donghyuck asked just to start the conversation.

"Not really," Mark mumbled, seemingly disinterested.

Donghyuck noticed that he was visibly tired but stayed neutral.

"I heard this course will be harder than the last one."

"Maybe."

The conversation hardly lasted. Mark was cold. It was hard for Donghyuck to stay neutral now, though he decided to stay silent.

He let Mark go to the church so that he could have his time alone with the spirit who stayed with him all this time, making it even harder.

"Could you try to remember what happened before you were close to death?" Donghyuck questioned as soon as he was left alone.

He tried to keep his voice low as the walls in the dormitory weren't that thick. Donghyuck didn't want people to find out that he was the medium boy.

"I don't remember," Byeol shook her head.

"I need to know what did he do to you."

"I don't remember."

Donghyuck cursed under his breath. If the spirit didn't know the whole sequence of events, Donghyuck was powerless. He couldn't guess them. Even if it was about the person he knew.

"Did he drug you?"

Donghyuck felt weird asking this. Mark and drugs sounded unusual in one sentence. But the medium boy had experience in these things. Such a question was usually the first he was asking a spirit. He wanted to know what type of a criminal did he face. Assertive and short-tempered or calm and careful?

Byeol shook her head, though. Donghyuck was relieved but not for long.

"Then how are you so sure that he killed you?" he asked.

"Because I was with him!" the girl snapped, appearing alive if not for her transparent skin. "And when I was close to death, he was nowhere around me!"

Donghyuck looked at her clothes. A simple T-Shirt and shorts. Neither of her clothes had blood which made it even harder for Donghyuck.

"Were you in pain?"

"Yes."

"Tell me about it."

"My lungs hurt."

Donghyuck clicked his tongue. He wasn't a medic to know these things. The police would have helped him with this, but at that time Donghyuck thought of that the least. He didn't want to turn Mark in, especially when he didn't know how everything happened. And if it actually happened.

"Do you have asthma?" Donghyuck asked out of the blue but the girl's answer surprised him.

"I do."

Something in Donghyuck's head connected. But there was still left a lot to find out.

"There's a high chance that you suffocated. Do you remember it?"

Byeol shook her head.

"Did he put a pillow on your face? Bag on your head?"

"I don't remember."

The unknown was stressing Donghyuck out. For the first time, he was so intrigued and desperate to find out how everything happened. All because of Mark! If it had been any other person, Donghyuck knew he would have called the police to take care of it.

Just because of Mark, Donghyuck was delaying time. He expected to discover every single point and find out that Mark wasn't a killer. Because it was hard to believe, really. It became even harder when Byeol lacked details.

"Okay... You were with him in the car, then the memory gap, then you woke up in the lake, close to suffocation."

"He was trying to hide my body. He dumped me in there."

"I'm not going to deny that. I think so too," Donghyuck admitted even though he hated it. "But what else?"

"Nothing. I don't remember a single thing."

"What happened in the car?"

Byeol stayed silent. She tried to remember but it wasn't working. Her expression hadn't changed even when three minutes had passed.

"Try to remember, please," Donghyuck sighed as he looked at her. "Otherwise, I won't be able to help you."