Laughing and Dancing With Her

"Oh, I love this dress! Thank you Margaret- thank you so much for making this for me!" Elizabeth exclaimed, as Margaret, her seamstress, handed Elizabeth a beautiful 1700s pink and lace victorian ball gown. It was the day of the ball. 

"Of course.  I knew you would love it!" Margaret cried, smiling at Elizabeth.

"Yes! I do love it so. I can't express my happiness and excitement enough! This is my favorite thing ever!" Elizabeth put it in front of her and twirled.

"Yes, yes!  Now, please try it on! I can't wait to see you in that dress!" 

Elizabeth obliged, changing quickly.

"Oh! You just look so beautiful! Such a gorgeous girl!" Margaret smiled and hugged Elizabeth as she emerged from behind the dressing screen.

Elizabeth was overjoyed. 

"Will there be any accessories for this big day?" Elizabeth asked, as she twirled about in circles. 

"Of course, let's see in your wardrobe." 

In Elizabeth's jewelry wardrobe, there was diamond, emerald, sapphire, and ruby earrings, and necklaces. 

"Mmmmm, let's see, how about these diamond drop teardrop earring? I'm sure it will look spectacular," Margaret suggested, holding up a pair of earrings. 

"Oh yes! Those are beautiful! Here, let me try them on," Danielle replied, starting to try them on. 

************************

" I am overwhelmed, Gillette. I can't wait to see her!" James cried, as he checked his reflection in the mirror. 

" I know, I know," Gillette told James, hearing it for the millionth time. 

James sighed, exclaiming, " What am I going to do? What am I going to say to her? I don't know what to do!" 

Gillette heaved a sigh.  "When in the world will this stop, James?  Just confess to her.  It will do you both some good."

                                                                      *************************

As the clock turned six, guests started arriving, eager to see the governor, his daughter, and the new commodore. Soon, the whole ballroom was filled with guests. 

Meanwhile, James was pacing side to side thinking about what Gillette said to him, while waiting for the announcer to announce him. His words were echoing around his head. Just confess to her, just confess to her.... 

Maybe I should confess to her- I don't think I will be able to hold back my feelings any longer anyway... James thought when the announcer called his name. 

Everyone cheered for their new commodore as James came down the grand marble staircase. He was still distracted by the voice inside his head; although nobody could tell, for he was trying his best to smile and look normal and happy. 

"You look amazing, my dear," his mother told him, hugging James, as he reached the end of the stairs. 

"Thanks, Mom," James replied, hugging Adeline back. As James started talking the Governor Swann, the announcer called Elizabeth's name. There she is- my, how beautiful she looks! James thought, as Elizabeth came down the staircase gracefully with her arm resting on the railing, and her gown bobbing up and down.  She practically flew down the staircase. She was smiling down at the guests; although, as James noted, she was mostly smiling down at James.