ᴠ : ʟᴀᴜɢʜᴛᴇʀ

✥---------------✥---------------✥

Venti couldn't believe his eyes.

Thoughts swirled in his head like a swarm of angry wasps.

He knew something like this was inevitable– but how did they get here so fast ?!

The first thing he did was let out a stifled cry, falling to his knees. He looked up at the sky, then down at your body once more.

Forcing himself into action mode, he held his fingers to your neck, finding a pulse– weak, nonetheless. At this, he let out the breath he had been unconsciously holding in, relieved.

Venti didn't let himself relax, though. The bard then awkwardly attempted to lift your limp body into his arms. Once he was stable, he began making his way quickly towards the city– the cathedral in particular.

Bursting through the doors, breathing heavily, he yelled, "Barbara !! HELP !!"

The twintailed deaconess rushed out, seeing her friend Y/N in such a state, and began to panic. "I-I don't know if I can heal that kind of injury –!!" she exclaimed.

"Please try." Venti said, firmly. "They're very important to me."

Barbara nodded, and led him to the infirmary.

✥---------------✥---------------✥

It was a few weeks later. You were somehow alive, yet the injury had placed you in an unfortunate coma.

But the person who was by your side, talking to you the entire time, making sure you never felt alone for whatever consciousness you could possibly have, was of course, Venti.

He almost never left the seat next to your hospital bed. He waited all day, every day for you to wake up.

This particular day, he realized, was the last day of what would have been your "contract".

Venti found himself wondering if you had proposed the idea as a member of the Fatui... or if you might've already had an 'ulterior motive'.

Nonetheless, he decided talking to you was the best way to get you to wake up, so talk he did.

"Y/N... I hope you can hear me." He paused, shuffling his feet. He clasped his hands in his lap. "You know... today is the one-month anniversary of when we first met. The day we agreed to spend every day together for a whole month."

The bard sighed quietly. Then, he spoke again,

"Happiness, farewells, love, and friendship;

they're all goods that can be bought for money... within jokes made by comical dreams.

I might just die tomorrow you know,

everything might just end up being for naught.

Mornings and nights, spring and autumn,

unchanging, someone dies somewhere.

I don't need dreams or even a tomorrow,

If you'll have lived on then that's all I need.

Yeah... That's actually what I want to sing about."

Venti took your hand in his. It was cold and clammy, but he didn't mind.

"That's from that song... I thought it was fitting. But it's true. I don't care if I die, but... I think you're the one who deserves life."