ɪᴠ : ғᴏʀᴇᴠᴇʀ

✥---------------✥---------------✥

"What if I told you... I've also... been keeping a secret..." You whispered, your head resting on your friend's shoulder.

"H-huh... ?" Venti sputtered, a surprised expression on his face.

"The truth is..." you said softly, staring at your intertwined hands,

"...I'm actually... a member of the Fatui... I was sent here to collect intel about you and your gnosis."

Venti looked at you out of the corner of his eye.

"R-really...? You're not joking, right ?"

You sighed quietly, and began to move slowly. You let go of Venti's hand and sat on his lap, so your legs were on either side of his hips and you were facing him. You rested your arm on the tree and leaned in close to one side of his face..

"But I don't want to do that... not anymore." You whispered. Venti could feel your breath on his cheek as you spoke, and it sent a chill up his spine.

"Because, the truth is... I've come to like you a lot, too."

You then pushed your head into the crook of Venti's neck, enveloping the boy into a warm embrace.

Venti didn't know how to react. At first, he just sat there, staring blankly into space. Then, he lifted his arms and wrapped them carefully around his friend's back. He could feel tears forming at the back of his eyes, but he fought the urge to cry and tried to sort out his feelings for the traveler.

"In truth..." the bard spoke quietly, "I couldn't care a bit if I died... but I'd be pretty sad if the people around me did."

You shifted your weight. You were silent for a moment.

"What's brought this on, Venti ?"

He chuckled softly, before continuing his thought. "I suppose it's some kind of ego, that goes: 'Because I just wouldn't like it.'"

You leaned backwards, so you could see his face.

"You're scaring me,"

There were tears visible in the boy's eyes.

"I'm sorry," he explained, "It's a song I heard, once...." He inhaled sharply. "We who were but youths at some point start to change into young adults. Growing old, one day we rot away like fallen leaves, with not a soul in the world knowing of our existence... Obtaining an immortal body, and living our whole existence without dying..."

He laughed again, a single tear rolling down his left cheek, smiling brokenly.

"I'm just daydreaming about these kinds of science fiction situations."

You felt tears threatening to form. You used one of your hands to brush Venti's bangs aside, then you leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss to his forehead, lingering there for a moment.

When you leaned back, Venti took both of your hands in his, interlacing fingers. He looked into your eyes. Surprisingly, despite the pain the both of you were feeling at the moment, you felt a sense of comfort and safety by looking into each other's eyes.

You both knew what the other was thinking.

I might just die tomorrow you know,

everything might just end up being for naught.

Mornings and nights, spring and autumn,

unchanging, someone dies somewhere.

You felt wetness on your cheeks. All you could think of was the fact that you might not make it to the next day– just because you've fallen in love with the very person you were destined to hurt.

You couldn't stop thinking about how if the Fatui Harbingers found out what's really been going on, that it hasn't been just 'studying an archon', that it's actually been genuine feelings forming– well, you knew you wouldn't be walking this earth for much longer.

Venti could see the terror in your eyes. He let go of one of your hands, and reached his hand up to stroke your cheek. He smiled sadly.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay... you'll be fine..."

You forced a smile in return. "You don't have to pretend to be happy for me, you know..." you sighed, placing your free hand on the side of his face affectionately.

"Um, this might be a weird thing to say, a-and not really the best timing– but..." The traveler spoke, looking off to the side anxiously, "I really want to kiss you right now..."

Venti looked at you in surprise, his eyes as wide as dinner plates. After a moment of shock, he smiled, genuinely this time, and leaned into your face, and you leaned in as well, until your lips connected, in a kiss that was sweet and full of only the purest love.

After a minute, you pulled back, smiling genuinely. You were met with a genuine smile on the bard's face, as well.

You adjusted yourself so you were curled up in Venti's lap, your head resting on his chest. He wrapped his arms around you comfortingly.

And the last thing you said to the archon before drifting to sleep, was...

"I wouldn't mind falling asleep in your arms every night..."

He stroked your hair, still smiling. Soon, you both drifted to sleep.

"Me, too."

Only for the morning to bring complete tragedy.

✥---------------✥---------------✥

On the other side of the screen, someone dies,

lamenting that someone else sings,

influenced by that, a young boy

ran off carrying a knife.

✥---------------✥---------------✥

Venti awoke suddenly, to the smell of blood and the absence of weight on his chest.

Panicking immediately, but without knowing exactly why, he rose quickly to his feet and glanced around the immediate area.

About thirty feet away, he saw a humanlike figure laying on the ground, in familiar colors.

He dashed over, only to find upon arrival–

His beloved Y/N, laying on the ground, clothes bloodsoaked, with their own sword stabbed into their abdomen.

✥---------------✥---------------✥

A/N: I kinda played off the fact that venti knows every song from the past, present and future, so that's how he's able to quote the song ! soooo yeah I hope things aren't too ooc— I'm trying my best over here (╥﹏╥) anyway, one more chapter to go !! yayayay ~!!

955 words