Chapter thirty-two

Start from the beginning

“Are you staying with Kalina?”

“No…I found a roommate on the other side of town.”

He nodded. “You’re still wearing the necklace.” I thought he might reach out and touch it but he stopped himself.

I touched the necklace around my neck that I hadn’t taken off since he’d given it to me.

 “Ya.” I mumbled before Zane honked the horn and made Aaron look up at the car that he didn’t seem to notice. “What’s wrong with your car?” He asked bitterly.

“It’s not here.” I said as if he were stupid.

“I see you’ve already moved on.” He said not meeting my eyes.

I let out a harsh laugh. “I didn’t, and even if I had that’s none of your business.” I turned to go before spinning on my heels. I ripped the necklace from my neck before throwing it at him. It bounced off his chest and landed in the grass.

I walked briskly to the car before slamming the door.

“Ouch.” Zane whispered under his breath before slowly starting to drive away. I looked back to see Aaron pick up the necklace and stare at it before looking up to meet my eyes before we turned the corner and he was gone completely.

“He antagonized me.” I said crossing my arms.

“Who uses the word ‘antagonized’?” Zane laughed.

“I don’t know.” I said laughing in return.

******************

Nate was waiting at the house making polite conversation with Hailey when Zane and I walked in.

Nate stood from the couch and Hailey grinned at us. “Nate was just waiting for you to get home.”

“Hey.” I smiled as I balanced two boxes in my arms. “You guys want to help carry in the rest of the boxes?” I said giving them a grin that I hoped convinced them to help.

“Sure.” Nate said as Hailey nodded.

“Hey Hailey?” Zane called before she’d made it out the door.

“Yeah?”

“Could you use another roommate?” He asked grinning at me as I rolled my eyes before walking towards the stairs.

“Sure.” She said shrugging.

“Told you.” Zane said jogging to catch up to me.

“Whatever.” I said over my shoulder.

I put the two boxes in my room before moving out of the way to let Zane set the box he had in his hands on the floor as well.

“I could take the room right across from yours!” He said over excited as he poked his head out the door.

“Alright Zane whatever makes you happy.” I said while making my bed.

Nate and Hailey walked in carrying the last few boxes. “Give me a tour?” Zane asked before nearly pulling Hailey out the door.

“Hey.” Nate said as I finished making my bed.

“Hey…is something wrong?” I asked as he sat down on my bed. I pulled another box closer to me before opening it.

“No, why?”

“I don’t know…I just thought you might’ve needed to talk or something.” I said as I took out my alarm clock and set it on my nightstand table.

“I just wanted to make sure you were ok.”

“You don’t need to check up on me every day.” I said grinning at him. As much as I liked the thought it made me worry about myself that he felt the need to see me every day to make sure I was ‘ok’.