Unresolved Everything Else

Start from the beginning

He glared at me. "If I tell you everything I know about the Vhampyrs, Gertrude won't get hurt?"

I nodded and he set me down.

"Go on." I said.

"The Vhampyrs are inhumane. Fifty percent of the gang are paid less than two hundred dollars a week. They force us to work for twenty hours a day. There is a twenty minute lunch break, and there are no bathroom breaks, ever. I mean, vampires don't have to pee, but it's still not fair. They force us to drink this blood-like fluid that makes us weak and susceptible under his control. Everyone has to follow the orders of The Evil One, or else, they will be starved to death. The Vhampyrs force poor people out of their homes and take away their jobs, until their only choice is to join the gang. We are beaten every day-"

"That's nice, but where is the Vhampyr's secret headquarters?" Ryder asked.

Timothy glared at him. "How am I supposed to know? The Evil One never tells people outside his inner circle anything. That's one of the ways he tries to control us, making his personal stuff private and demanding ours to be public."

Ryder glared at me. "Thanks a lot, Brynn."

"What did I do?" I shouted.

"You're so stupid!" He shouted. "I should have known you're a horrible interrogator, you worthless piece of trash. You got no useful information out of him. You're the one who's ruining everything in my life."

I tried to control my anger. "You're right. I can never do anything right, is that what it is? It's better if I left."

Before he can say anything, I stormed out of the room, never looking back.

~~~~

"What did I miss?" I asked, sitting down at the lunch table next to Malcolm X and Jake. I decided to visit them today.

Malcolm X looked up and smiled. "Brynn! You're back!"

She hugged me tightly, and I wrapped my arms around her just as tight.

She let go of me. "Chris and I are together now! We're mates!"

"I know." I said. "Chris told me."

"Did he... say anything else?" She asked, her orbs looking hopeful.

"Yeah. He told me that you are the best, kindest, smartest person ever."

"Really?" She was practically bouncing, and her grin took up her entire face.

"Yes, absolutely. Did I miss anything else?" I asked.

She pointed at a poster on the wall. "The prom is on Sunday! Isn't that exciting?"

"Not really. I'm just going to wear a T-shirt and jeans, because I'm not like other girls."

"No. You should wear a dress and go dress shopping with me."

After a few minutes of arguing, I finally agreed with her. "Fine, I'll go dress shopping with you."

"So, is Ryder going to ask you out, huh?" She teased, elbowing me.

My heart twinged at the sound of his name. All the pain I tried to block came rushing back. I tried not to show the sadness on my face, but I failed. I started crying.

"Here." Jake said, handing me a tissue. He put his arm around me and put my head on his shoulders.

I tried to smile at him. "Thanks."

I cried hard as both of them comforted and soothed me. I am so grateful to have friends in my life.

"So." I said, sniffling. "Do you think Chris is going to ask you out to prom?"