Chapter 2: The Glow Cloud

Start from the beginning

"Tha' sounds abou' right," Carson laughs, as he wraps a rubbery tie cloth thing around her arm (she remembers it being used the one time she gave blood), "So do ya have any questions concernin' the process? I mean, ya are a scientist."

"Carson, you know I think medical sciences are a more advanced form of voodoo," Mare states as she watches him work, "But I trust you. As much as I can trust a voodoo practitioner."

Carson gives her a look, which Mare grins at, before taping her arm and wiping it down, "Aye, but ya are the first human trial."

Meredith's eyes widen, "I, uh, I thought you'd tested it at least once before."

"On animals, yes, but, well, withou' proper FDA approval, it was virtually impossible ta do a human trial on Earth. Let's jus' say it's uh, legal, here in the Pegasus Galaxy."

Meredith stares at Carson, who's holding the filled syringe, "Is it safe?"

"As far as experimental gene therapy goes," Carson sees Mare's unease, "I am manipulating your DNA. Here we go."

As Carson prepares to inject her, Meredith pulls her arm back, "Maybe you should tell me more."

Carson exhales deeply out of his nose, "We believe A.T.A. is caused by a single gene that's always on, instructin' various cells in the body ta produce a series of proteins an' enzymes tha' interact with the skin, the nervous system, an' the brain. In this case, we're usin' a mouse retrovirus ta deliver the missin' gene ta your cells."

"Are there any side-" Carson inject Meredith, "effects. Ow!"

"Dry mouth, headache, the irresistible urge ta run on a small wheel," he replies like nothing happened, cleaning and bandaging the injection spot.

"Very funny," Meredith glares, "About how long do you think it'll take for the gene to kick in?"

"It could take some time, why?" Carson queries as he picks up the area.

Mare pulls out the personal shield she found, "I wanna test this."

"Wha' is it?"

"I found it in one of the research labs yesterday," Meredith rolls it around in her hand, "It's supposedly a personal shield. Sounds interesting right?"

"You know how ta use it?"

"It had pretty simple instructions."

"Okay, lass. Have fun."

Meredith leaps off the bed. She glances over her shoulder as she walks out, "Don't worry I will!"

----------SGA------------SGA-----------

It takes her a while, but Meredith finally finds her husband working on some paperwork in one of the cleared rooms near the control room. He's not facing her, so she sneaks up and drapes herself over his back. She hears him chuckle before she finds herself being kissed.

"Hello, beautiful," he grins as they separate, "I see you're done being Carson's lab rat."

"Hello to you too, gorgeous," she maneuvers herself into his lap, "and yes, I am. I just need to test and see if it worked," Meredith lifts up the personal shield, "Wanna help?"

"Isn't that the shield you told me about," John questions.

"Mhmm," Meredith tilts her head to make eye contact, "I want you to shoot me when I put it on if it activates."

John jerks back a little, "Shoot you? Hell no."

Mare narrows her eyes, "Uh, uh. I know that look Mare, the answers no."