Come back home

Guess who just bulked out their "one short" by 5000 words.... Yeah... that was me... I added in more scenes I think you'll enjoy them if you want to re-read

It was glorious, the sky erupted into a thousand shining stars. They flickered and danced until bursting again into a million specks of silver stardust.

It truly was glorious, if only he could enjoy it, in all its beauty. Alas, his eyes never stopped their crying and the tiny specks he tried so hard to reach for slipped through his fingers. If he managed to catch one it melted away like snow in seconds. And then it was over and there was no longer anything. No lingering silver no bells nothing at all just a white clad disgrace of a god clutching at air.

It could have been glorious if instead of a million shining specks of silver he himself had exploded. It would have been terribly messy and horrific to watch. Nothing like the glowing blurred shapes his eyes showed him moments ago. But it would have been better. It would have been him to disappear. He would perish or maybe he wouldn't, he doesn't know anymore. But he wouldn't have to face the aftermath alone. Hadn't San Lang once promised he'd live longer if they couldn't go out together?

The memories swell up his mind and he frantically looks down to his finger. The red string! How could he forget-

The string of fate that Hua Cheng married him with was still there, bright and crisp no damage at all except, it looked tragically cut. No longer was there an endless line connecting him to his lover. No longer was San Lang at the end. Maybe that was the final straw.

Xie Lian screams. He screams and screams and screams some more. It rings painfully in his ears and he does have the decency to feel slightly bad for those few beings around him.

Sets of hands grab at him, try to calm him, console him, drag him away. He wasn't having any of it and in one swift motion he rose to his feet easily dislodging the hands.

He snatched up a shard of rock held it out with trembling hands. he doesn't know why but he feels like he's in danger. His eyes scan over the scene there was only a few people present, he couldn't stay here so he backed away. The rock still pointed like a sword.

Voices called out to him and the followed him carefully as he backed up. He was the most powerful martial arts god now after all. Not even scrap collecting could dull his skills. Even with a rock he would be capable of serious damage if provoked. And right now he feels cornered.

However with what little rationality he had left he decided he didn't want that, no more death. No more pain, no more. Just no more. So instead he turned the sharp point of rock on himself. He felt the tip press against his neck. It didn't even process as pain. So used to having his neck abused by a chain he couldn't feel any sensation from the area.

He knows he shouldn't. He's not the immortal he once was. He may have unlimited power for a short while and he may have regained that which was lost but he had lost that which he gained. A cruel swap he would never have made if he was aware of details.

He was being cruel and he knew it. He could see the bodies following him flinch. Saw their faces pale. San Lang wouldn't want this. He would be furious with him if he could see him now. A red eyed ghost king full of pain and anger. Xie Lian almost shudders. Almost.

But that's where the problem lies. San Lang wasn't here to tell him off. He wasn't here to calm him down. He wasn't here to see him back away from people who wanted to help. To hold him, most likely crush the rock in his hand. Scold him for his neck, wrap him up in those strong arms and take him home.

He only had these people. Although something told him they weren't helping because they wanted to, a small part of his mind argued against it. If his eyes could stop streaming and focuse he'd be able to tell who was there. And if his ears weren't still ringing he would be able to hear their voices. Unfortunately he couldn't do either only make out blobs of colour that moved frantically.