"I, uh, have plans. Yeah. Plans for tomorrow night." I swallowed hard, regretting the panicked decision that I had made. My eyes submissively trailed down to my hands that I was currently picking at my fingers with, anxiously considering the events of the following night.

Steven's jaw clenched in frustration at hearing that he wasn't a first priority.

What the fuck is more important than our time together? Ask her, Steven!

Marc was agitated, obviously ignited by her decline of getting together again. He had been wrathful for weeks already. Of course, (Y/N) and Steven had grown close in the two years they had known each other, which meant that Steven had inevitably revealed the existence of Marc to her.

And she accepted him.

However, to Marc, it appeared that she preferred to want to spend more time with Steven. He hated how she laughed over his corny jokes, how she fawned over his awkward demeanor, how she purposely would "accidentally" brush her soft hand against Steven's when they would routinely stroll together in their favorite park.

While Steven fronted and enjoyed reveling in her presence, Marc had become obsessed with the idea of one day claiming her for himself.

In the past two years, she was approached by several different suitors who desired to be with her, and even those who annoyed her and simply bothered her with unwanted attention. But Marc always proved to himself and Steven that those suitors and interested men weren't good enough for her.

And none of their bodies would ever be found.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" Steven questioned, feeling a slight pang of jealousy and bile rise in his chest as he considered the thought that she found something, or someone else, to be more entertaining than him, or just better in general.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair and leaning against the cushions. "I...have a date." I timidly and hesitantly revealed, noticing the shadowed expression on Steven's face and the sudden rigidity of his body.

The fuck did she just say?

Steven was overcome by a sudden rush of permeating jealousy and hatred. He felt possessive over (Y/N) and never expected her to choose someone else over him. "A-a date?" He repeated in disbelief and frustration.

With who?!

I had an uncontrollable and uncontainable crush on Steven. Hell, I was positive I loved him. His awkward social cues, his quirky personality, his gentle and kind soul all drew me closer to him and is what kept pulling me towards the museum.

But he didn't like me back in the least.

I was simply his best friend.

And that was good enough for me. I would secretly love him unconditionally and would always be there for him, never to reveal my devoted commitment to him.

I don't remember why I accepted J.B.'s offer in the first place. He had been pestering me for weeks every time I had come to see Steven at work. He was pushy and annoying, and in a frustrating moment of realization that Steven would never love me back, I regretfully accepted.

"(Y/N)." Steven's serious tone caught my attention and I immediately glanced up from my hands. I nodded, referring back to his question and confirming what I had declared. "With who?" His once light tone had darkened and he leaned closer to me.

I shook my head in defeat. "I-I don't even want to go, y'know? I just want to spend time with you, Steven. And I guess I just wasn't even thinking and J.B had been annoying me for weeks and pestering me about a single date, I just said yes without even thinking and-"