Personality
In the past, Mariel used to be a serious but caring young woman. She always put the safety and well-being of her friends and allies first and she was never scared of dying if it meant protecting others. She always cared for Elizabeth like a mother and she thought of Mael as her younger brother, showing just how much she cared about him. However, due to her immense strength, Mariel is a very conceited person too. She often looks down on her enemies and even her own allies.

As a member of the Ten Commandments, Mariel has a cold and distant personality but a very sadistic demeanor. Like Gloxinia, she holds a very deep loathing and resentment towards humans due to the betrayal Rou and his comrades committed towards Stigma when she initially believed her daughter, Florina, was killed by Gina, one of Rou's comrades. She even changed her own name from Mariel to Ilyana.

History
Early Life
Mariel was born as the first daughter of the Supreme Deity. At some point in her life, she was given the Grace known as Forest and appointed as leader of the Four Archangels. During her lifetime, she grew quite close to Mael and both goddesses fell in love with each other. However, one day, while Mariel was out on a mission with some soldiers, they were attacked by the Demon Clan. Mariel told the soldiers to retreat. In the end, Mariel was overpowered by the demons and defeated. Believing she died, the demons returned to the Demon Realm. However, Mariel was found by Gloxinia, who had healed her using Basquias' Moon Rose, and took her to the Fairy King's Forest.

After she woke up again, Gloxinia explained what happened and Mariel stayed in the Fairy King's Forest. At some point, while bandits attacked the forest, Mariel stepped in to defeat them. She had promised Gloxinia to help him protect the forest. After forcing the bandits to retreat, Mariel received the Spirit Spear Crystania from the Sacred Tree. Shortly after that, Gloxinia and Mariel got married and Mariel got pregnant. She gave birth to her daughter Florina.

3,000 years ago
In the ancient Holy War 3,000 years ago, Mariel used to be friends and fought alongside both Drole and Meliodas as members of Stigma. But she was betrayed by Stigma and the human Gina and had something even more important than her own life stolen from her, her daughter, Florina. This drove her to turn to the Demon Clan because she felt all trusted comrades had stabbed her in the back, eventually becoming a demon herself and being appointed as one of the Ten Commandments. Unlike the rest of the Demon Clan, Mariel wasn't sealed away in the Coffin of Eternal Darkness. Instead she spent her time traveling all over Britannia destroying entire villages after deceiving the people into believing she would save them. After joining the Demon Clan, Mariel lost the protection of the Goddess Clan but kept her alliance with the Demon Clan a secret. She also started using the name Ilyana as a demon as she thought her old name Mariel didn't fit her anymore.

700 years ago
One day, she arrived in the Kingdom of Liones. She was taken in under the protection of the Knights and soon became a Holy Knight of Liones herself. After 300 years more, she earned herself the title of Great Holy Knight.

400 years ago
After earning her title of Great Holy Knight, Mariel began to show her conceited side. She began making fun of the other knights during training until her actions were reported to the king. She was imprisoned for the sin of pride with a sentence of 100 years. Even while she was imprisoned, Mariel was allowed to keep her Rank of Great Holy Knight.

15 years ago
Her sin eventually led her to become a member of the Seven Deadly Sins when King Liones formed the group. The group was led by Meliodas and supervised by the Great Holy Knight, Zaratras. Additionally, in meeting the other members of the Sins, the one who caught her attention the most was Escanor. His magical ability Sunshine reminded her of Mael's grace she saw in the Holy War. Despite her curiosity about that, she told herself the similarity was only a coincidence. She never questioned Escanor's ability, Sunshine.