Birthday

I walk into the firehouse I was smiling but truth was I wasn't happy

I walk into the firehouse I was smiling but truth was I wasn't happy. "Penny" Herman cheers while the others say a various different version of hello."Kelly here" I ask looking around "in his office" Matt said "that's good uh Sophie is coming here tomorrow she's a bit obsessed with firefighters if you haven't figured that out" "yeah we are excited to have her" Sylvie said "she might be really grumpy can't blame her Henry and Justin are in the hospital" "how are they" Herman asks "well Justin is breathing on his own and his brain activity is good henry has had three surgeries his stable but still in a coma" I told them getting many weak smiles. I sigh "Kelly won't admit it ever but I need you to call me if she's to grumpy she can come sit at the hospital until the house is ready for her party" "we'll make sure to keep an eye on them" Mouch told me making me smile "hey you need anything we're here to" Herman reminded me making me nod. I knew I didn't have to worry about her at the district. She has Al and everyone else. On top of that she can sit in his office all she wants.

Ellie and Erin were getting the house ready for this afternoon. Pretty sure they have Flynn, Lexi and Charles helping. Edward is here keeping me company making sure I don't drown in my own emotions. I don't really have to worry about Sophie she's with Kelly and than with Al and the team. She slept over at Kim's wanting to be with her best friend Makayla. I know Adam was there as well. Me well I have no intention of leaving this hospital until her party this afternoon.

The house was decked out with purple, pink and light blue everywhere. It was a party perfect for Sophie. Only problem was she was frowning. Adam was doing everything to make her smile same as Jay and Kelly. "Stop it's not my birthday without daddy" her eyes well up "and Tin" she lets out a sob "stop stop it's only my birthday I have daddy's special pancakes and Tins adventure it's not right without that Daddy always makes me pancakes and gives me extra cake and let's me do whatever I want. Tin always plans special days but after lunch he has Ace and con con and Rinny and Ellie and Danny and Olive and" she holds her hand up I can't imagine she can see much given how she's crying "Kelly and Fly and Exie" no doubt she can't remember anything else. She lets out a sob I crying at the top of the steps on the deck facing everyone. Tears well up in my own eyes "Soph" Will coaxed coming closer after she screamed and fought her way away from Adam. She raced forward latching onto the first person she could which happened to be Flynn. Said teenager didn't know what to do. Sure he was an older teenager and knew all kinds of things one being comforting kids, I have seen him him doing it with Makayla or some other random kid that's with Sophie. But Sophie was special and definitely a Voight. Henry was forever telling me she was stubborn like a Voight but loving like an Anderson. To which I usually told him she has the same love of chaos and order that he does. In summary this child is rarely ever upset and when she is Henry and I are always there. No one knew what a sad Sophie Grace was like they all just knew the stubborn, slightly spoilt, argumentative, kind, loving girl that she was.

"Hey Soph" she hums looks at Flynn "how bout we plan a whole day that is like a Tin and Grace but instead it's a Fly and Soph day so it's a bit different we can do anything and you know what we'll film the whole thing so when he wakes up he can tell us how it's nothing like his tin and grace days but we have to smile" "show teeth tin always tells me show teeth" Flynn nods laughing weakly "after our whole day we can have Lexi join and" "and than you can come hang out with us we can do everything we do after lunch" Adam said smiling all the people who usually go (Kelly, Connor, Erin, Ellie) share a nod of agreement. Olive stopped by with Daniel earlier but is now at the hospital, I did offer to take him but she wanted him with her. "Hey I can come to I've been told I'm very fun" Charles said making her weakly smile Al wraps his arm around me. "You doing ok" he said quietly "I want to be with him" "so I'll take you" he shrugs "uncle Eddie" Sophie exclaimed jumping into his arms. He picks her up effortlessly "what do you think do you think daddy and tin will be happy if I went with them" "I think they will be sad if you don't" he told her smiling before looking at me "go Lillie I'll make sure she's fine" he told me I pause unsure "go I'll sooner go back to prison than let my favourite girl get hurt" he didn't know it, probably didn't see the tears build up in my eyes. I nod kissing Sophie's head before rushing away without a word.

"You ok" Al asks coming beside me I wipe my eyes laughing trying not to cry again. It's my daughters birthday I didn't want to cry. All I had been doing is crying or trying not to cry. "It's exactly what he says to me only he says I would sooner go back to prison for my girls" Al hugs me having heard him say it "he would say it every time she was scared or worried now it's mainly her now. He use to tell me it all the time I would sooner go back than let anything happen to you the most perfect beautiful person on the planet...he knew it hurt me but always added that he would die if I got hurt in anyway so it's better if he did something to stop it" I somehow manage to get out between crying. Al helps me into the car before getting in himself and starts driving.

"You know when he told me that you were the woman for him I laughed I thought he lost his mind. I questioned whether he lost his mind whether we were talking about the same Penelope Anderson" I let out a watery laugh, tears no longer falling leaving my face feeling stiff and my eyes sore. "Cause there's so many in Chicago" "he was determined though" "treated me like a Queen still does" "because your his Queen and he wants to silently tell you just how important you are every single day" "I also remember you quizzing me on who he was" "did you answer truthfully for me your friend or him your partner" it was somewhat of a secret that I had known Al far longer than Henry had. In fact no one really knew Al and I knew each other long before Henry, like years before. Al walked me down the aisle. "Hey I told you both what you wanted to hear...I didn't change anything I'm very truthful" I laugh knowing just how many times he had lied for Henry or I "Anyone with eyes could see you and still can maybe not currently given the the current situation but anyone can see just how in love you both are" I smile leaning into the chair listening "you know I wanted a love like you two have but truth is I don't think it exists" "it exists Al don't give up just because you and Meredith are having a hard time incase you forgot I lived in my childhood home one which Justin now refers to the murder house for a hot minute and honestly thought it was over but look at us now well not currently because all you would see is heartbreak and pain but we are filled with love like before" "I know I also know how hard this is" he said making me nod.