"That must be her? well, she's as beautiful as how Rianne described her to me"

He snickers proudly, "She is... Oh, and have you been talking to Rianne? "

"Of course, she's still my best friend, just like you are with Carlos," I laughed, remembering times when we were all together. "I never thought they'd end up together, I mean" my gaze shifted to the so-called pendant of his necklace, lowering the volume of my voice "they were always fighting, but... I guess they made it work, uhm..." I paused, my thoughts wandering. I couldn't help but notice the pendant, so I simply said, "You kept it."

He looked at where my eyes were set and slowly took it off his neck "yeah, I don't- I just wanted to keep a part of you in mine, I guess"

He lifts the ring and inspects it. "I'm sorry," I say as guilt grows in my heart.

"for what?" he inquires.

"We had already been engaged, and... I threw it all away," I replied, hoping for some relief. I returned my stare to him, noticing his reassuring grin.

He sighs and shakes his head left and right while scrunching his nose before saying, "With everything that was going on at the time, it was difficult to go for our plans together. There was no point in continuing, and I know that also you couldn't see our future together."

I could, however. every single piece of it... You were present. You were never not. It would be selfish of me to say anything about it, so I brushed it aside. I feel pressure build up in my eyes, indicating that tears are on their way. "It was definitely for the better,"

He went on, obviously not wanting me to feel embarrassed, "can I ask you a question?"

I respond with a nod,

"do you regret it?"

I averted my gaze for a moment, thinking about how to respond. "Should I?" "

"hmm... no" he exhaled, finally giving me relief. "you know... thinking about it, what happened with us... there could have been a way... a way for us to be together, a lot of ways actually" he titters

"I know, the moment I ended it, I knew I lost all of you" I place both my hands on the table and defenselessly stared at them

"that's not true, I try my best so that my unfaltering support still reaches you, I try. I promise I do, but now that I have her, I have to set some limits"

"damn it, Camilo, you never fail to make your best bud cry" I sniffle as I return to face him.

He snickers "well that's what I'm here for" there was once again a moment of silence and it was broken by Camilo's unexpected question "are you seeing anyone?"

"yeah, OH yeah, he's here somewhere. We've been together for 5? or 6 months. The second guy I dated since us" to be honest? it wasn't awkward, it was just 2 old pals catching up

"almost 10 years. wow, you loved me that much?" He sarcastically shakes his head with a forced sad pout

"All right, calm down your ego, okay?"

"too soon?" " He creased his brow in interest.

"10 years isn't too soon, and besides... I was the one who dumped you, you are the dump-ee," I said with a sad pout and puppy eyes.

He scoffs and places his palm on his chest, as if offended, saying, "that hurts, that- that hurts." We laugh it out and gradually calm down. Another 'what if' enters my mind, "What if we tried back then? "

He leans back in his chair and looks away, gathering his thoughts. "It wouldn't have been that bad, we'd be traveling... a lot, that I know for sure"

My gaze shifted to the side, attempting to conjure up what could have been "yeah, it would have been fun."