Chapter Eighteen - Breathe

Start from the beginning

"Hear what Professor Moody?" Snape asked the DADA teacher, sounding quite uninterested in the man's words.

"They caught a rampaging werewolf," the ex-Auror continued. My heart clenched in fear.

"They did?" Snape's attention was on the Professor.

"Running around Grimmauld Place. Trashing the street."

I dropped the knife I was holding. Moody's head snapped around to face me. His glass eye flickered back and forth over my face. I held my breath.

"What would a werewolf be doing wandering around that old street?" Snape asked, the Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor's gaze moving off me.

I lowered to my hunkers, grasping the knife in my hand. I watched Moody's feet as he hobbled up to the Potion's Master.

"The Dark Lord has a band of werewolves on his side." Moody tried to keep his voice down, but I heard him.

My grip tightened on the knife as I rose to my feet. I didn't let go of the metal blade.

"You think this is a sign? One werewolf?" Snape sounded unbelieving.

"Well what else could it be?"

Snape's eyes turned to me. "There are other options."

I gulped, pain flooding through my hand. Hissing, I dropped the knife, looking to my now bloodied hand.

Both teachers turned. Moody moved towards me. "I'm fine." I told them. "I'll go get Madame Pomfrey to patch it up. I'd appreciate it if you kept an eye on my potion, Snape."

I quickly grabbed my bag, hurrying away from the teacher and making my way out of the classroom.

Cradling my hand to my chest, I went the opposite way to the Hospital Wing. I went straight for the dungeon.

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

There was no one in my room when I burst through the door and rushed to my desk.

Trying my best to keep the blood off the parchment, I took my quill from it's bottle and messily wrote a letter to Moony.

Werewolf caught at Grimmauld Place. Are you okay?

Lyra.

I quickly folded the letter, some of the blood from my hand brushing on to the parchment. Running to the window, I gave the letter to my owl.

"Moony. Quickly," I told them.

Taking deep breaths, I turned in my spot. Despite the slice on my hand, I found myself clenching my hands into fists.

"Breathe, Lyra, breathe," I told myself, feeling the flame begin to push aggressively against the glass.

Did they catch Moony? Was it him? Who else could it be? It was Grimmauld Place. Was he alright? Was my father alright?

My head was flooded by the thoughts of what could have happened. The glass cracked as the walls of the room seemed to shrink around me, enclosing me tightly.

"I need to get out of here," I mumbled, out of breath. I quickly left the room, heading to the only place I could think of.

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

When I reached the top of the Astronomy Tower, I still couldn't breathe, panting heavily. I shook my head, turning around in circles as my vision blurred.

"Lyra," a voice broke through, muddled.

"I-I can't breathe," I managed.

A hand peeled mine from its fist, taking it in theirs. They rubbed their thumb across my palm, holding it softly. "It's okay Lyra. Just take deep breaths."